Thursday, January 15, 2015

7 Habits

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here!  Years ago, I read the book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. It was a good book and I tried to put the habits into practice in my professional and personal life. Last year, we purchased the 7 Habits of Happy Kids for every classroom and started teaching those 7 Habits to our students.  We even incorporate those habits as our themes for our Student of the Month Assemblies. Recently, I began a five day training on the 7 Habits as part of the administrative team at LPS.  This training has really left a positive impact on me and helped me to work even harder at making those habits a part of my daily life.  If you get the chance, please take some time to check out the book for yourself...It could be a life changer!

Habit 1: Be Proactive     Habit 2: Begin with the end in Mind     Habit 3: Put First things First Habit 4: Think Win-Win     Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood
Habit 6: Synergize     Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw


UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROSEDALE

Monday, January 19: No School for MLK Day
Tuesday, January 20: Community Forum on LPS budget 6:30 pm at Board Office
Wednesday, January 21: PTA Game Night 6:00-8:00 pm
Friday, January 23: No School for Students (Teacher Work Day)

Monday, January 26: Start of the 2nd Semester
Tuesday, January 27: Science of Music Assembly
Friday, January 30: Report Cards go home
                                Student of the Month Assembly - Begin with the End in Mind
                                Rosedale Skate Night at Riverside Arena 6:00-8:00 pm

Thursday, February 5: PTA Meeting 6:30 pm
Friday, February 6: Daddy Daughter Dance 6:00-8:00 pm


Congratulations to our December students of the month! 
HABIT 1: BE PROACTIVE


MEET THE STAFF

Mrs. Merchant - First Grade Teacher

Mrs. Merchant is the daughter of a retired Livonia teacher. She grew up always wanting to be a teacher like her dad. She has been a teacher in Livonia for 17 years and the last 15 have been here at Rosedale/Johnson. She taught grades K-2, with the majority of the time spent in first grade. Mrs. Merchant is happily married to her wonderful husband, Dan, and they have four grown children; 2 boys (Walt and David) and 2 girls (Sarah and Laura). Our daughter Sarah is married and made us grandparents last year! Our granddaughter, Olivia, is the light of our lives.

My favorite thing about Rosedale is the rich and wonderful diversity we have in our community. 

When I am not in school, I love to travel. Two of our children live on opposite coasts, and my husband and I enjoy visiting as much as we can. I am also a huge Disney fan, and Disney World is my favorite vacation place of all! I also love spending time at home with my family, and I LOVE cuddling my new grand baby!

Mrs. Hernandez - Title 1 Paraprofessional 

This is Mrs. Hernadez's first year as an employee of Livonia Public Schools. She graduated in 2013 from Eastern Michigan University with her Bachelors of Science degree in Elementary Education with a major in Reading. She has been married for two years.

My favorite thing about Rosedale is the staff and the students. Beginning a new job can very intimating and overwhelming. However, from the moment I walked through the front doors for my first day of work, I was greeted with smiling faces and open arms by everyone welcoming me to Rosedale. Everyone has went above and beyond to not only help and welcome me but also to really make me feel a part of the Rosedale community. The students are such a joy to work with and they are always eager to learn. I feel so fortunate to work at Rosedale.

When I am not at work I enjoy spending time with my husband and our sweet pup Moslee. Moslee is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and Bichon Frise mix. I also love to sew and enjoy gardening.




That Rosedale students come from 16 different countries and that 15 languages are represented in our building? One of the things that makes our school special is our cultural diversity and the way we celebrate that diversity. Great things are happening at Rosedale!