Friday, January 30, 2015

Being Present

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! This week, Livonia Public Schools and many other districts are in the process of changing our attendance procedures to match the new requirements. We are returning to the practice of having parents call or email the school when a child is out to excuse the absence. Because of this, I thought I would take a moment to discuss how important being present is.  For me, being present has two meanings.  First, one has to be physically present, both in the school and in the classroom to be successful.  In addition, a person has to be engaged, involved, and interested to be fully present.  We all have been in situations where we are physically present, but our mind is elsewhere.  It's so important to be "in the moment" and really connecting with one another while at school.  So, as we launch into the new attendance procedures, please talk with your child about the importance of "being present" at school, both in body and in mind.
photo credit: organomics.com

UPCOMING EVENTS:

Thursday, February 5: PTA Meeting 6:30 pm in the Library (food and childcare provided)
Friday, February 6: 3rd Annual Daddy Daughter Dance 6:00-8:00 pm (RSVP by Monday February 2)

Monday, February 9: Pizza Kit Orders go out
Wednesday, February 11: Founder's Day Celebration at Schoolcraft College

Monday, February 16: No School
Tuesday, February 17: No School for students / Teacher Professional Development Day

WIDA Assessment (World- Class Instructional Design and Assessment)

Under federal and state law, students who are English Language Learners (ELL) are required to participate in an English language proficiency assessment annually until they are proficient on this assessment, including any ELL-eligible student not enrolled in the district’s ELL program due to parent refusal of services.  Our state’s test for the purpose of English language proficiency is called Assessing Comprehension and Communication in English State-to-State (ACCESS).  This assessment will be administered to all ELL students, kindergarten through 12th grade, between February 9, 2015 and March 27, 2015.  It assesses social and instructional English used within the school context as well as listening, speaking, reading and writing in language arts, mathematics, science and social studies.

MEET THE STAFF
Mrs. Benson - 2nd Grade Teacher


One interesting fact about me is that I have been a Livonia resident my entire life. I attended Tyler Elementary, Riley Jr. High School, Bentley High School for one year, and then I finished at Stevenson High School. Afterwards, I completed both my undergraduate and graduate degrees at Madonna University.  In addition, I have spent my entire teaching career with the Livonia Public Schools. All 19 of those years were within the Rosedale (formerly Johnson) community.  I spent 15 of those years as a first grade teacher. My husband Dino and I live in Livonia with our three daughters ~ Christianna, Kailyn, and Katarina. Outside of school, we are a very active family. Two of our daughters are on a competition dance team and our other daughter is involved with cross country, track, and choir. 

Rosedale isn't just a place where I work. My favorite thing about being here is that I am part of the community. Having those connections with the children and their families is very important to me. In addition, I consider the Rosedale staff as part of my extended family. I am invested in the community in many different ways. We have a wonderful, creative, supportive, and caring community all of which I am grateful to be part of. 

As a family, we love to go camping and enjoy traveling around the state of Michigan whenever we have a chance.  In addition, I really enjoy technology, reading on my Kindle, and taking photographs.  As a matter of fact, I have carried a camera around capturing those fun moments since I was about 12 years old! As often as possible, I try to incorporate technology and photographs with my students as a learning tool. It keeps learning fun for the students and for me! :-)   

Mrs. Collins-Robison - Elementary Support Teacher (EST)

Mrs. Robison is our Elementary Support Teacher. She has her Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Social Work from Michigan State (go Green!), and worked in Clinical Social Work for 25 years, specializing in children, teens and families, both in Mental Health and Substance Abuse settings. Working also as an Addictions Counselor and SA Prevention Consultant lead her into doing student and parent education groups in many Livonia and Wayne/Westland schools, then to teach courses at Schoolcraft College and Wayne State University. She enjoyed the educational settings so much, she decided to renew her School Social Worker certification, and was fortunate to join LPS at Rosedale, first as an ESAP, and now EST, where she offers varied academic, behavioral, social and emotional support to students, staff and families, along with leading our PBS 3 to BE! program. 

Her favorite thing about Rosedale is the positive energy and teamwork of our staff, students and families that makes Rosedale such a "gem" of a school. 

Mrs. Robison lives with her husband and their 2 young adult sons (Churchill graduates), who are attending Eastern Michigan University and Schoolcraft College. For health and relaxation, her hobbies include walking and doing various crafts. 


That Rosedale Elementary was a Phase One school that received the very first round of building renovations? As a Phase One school we received a completely new interior as well as a new arched entryway.  If you haven't done so, please come and check out our beautiful new building.  Great things are happening at Rosedale!