Friday, February 27, 2015

A Penny Saved

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! This month our students have been bringing in pennies and spare change to donate to the Children's Leukemia Lymphoma Society.  As our school-wide Youth Making a Difference project,  this project demonstrates to our students that with a little time and a little change, that they can make some very big contributions to an important cause.  This year we raised over $1,500 in change in a just a couple of weeks!  What a great way for our students to make a difference in someone's life.  Thanks to all who contributed! We will be featuring more updates about our Youth Making a Difference projects in April.


UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROSEDALE

Thursday, March 5: PTA Meeting at 6:30 in the Library (Pizza and Childcare provided)
Friday, March 6: Reading Prize = Popcorn Snack

Friday, March 13: Reading Prize = Glow Sticks (Read with blanket forts)

Friday, March 20: Reading Prize = S'more Snack (Read with stuffed animal)

Tuesday, March 24: Spring Pictures
Wednesday, March 25: All School Assembly for "Magic of Reading"
Thursday, March 26: Student of the Month Assembly (Think Win-Win)
                                   Skate Night at Riverside Arena 6:00-8:00 pm
Friday, March 27: No School for Students (Teacher Work Day)

Congratulations to our Students of the Month!
Habit 3: Put First Things First

MEET THE ROSEDALE STAFF


Mrs. Boggs - 3rd Grade Teacher

I earned my bachelors and masters degree from Eastern Michigan University.  I started my teaching career at Johnson/Rosedale in 1988. I have been here long enough that I am now getting children of my first students!!  Over the years I have met several families and our community is the BEST!

 My favorite thing about our school is that we are a very close staff and the one thing we all have in common is we care about our students.  A few of us have been teaching together for several years and have been through many changes.  We have been through 2 moves, 2 renovations, changes in administrators, new staff members, friends retiring, friends moving to different schools and numerous students coming and leaving.  Often people will ask me where our school is located because they have never heard of it.  Rosedale is like a hidden "treasure" in Livonia.  Our school is small but we are mighty!

In my spare time I like to spend time with my daughter Emilie and my granddaughter Rylie.  We love to travel, take walks, bike ride and enjoy nature.  I have been to 45 of the 50 states and the other 5 states are on my bucket list!!  I have also been to Europe 2 times, Virgin Islands, Bahamas, Aruba, Grand Cayman, Cancun, and Riviera Maya.  I would consider myself to be a little adventurous.  I have been in a hot air balloon, helicopter, float-plane and para-sailed.  I also sailed from Seattle up to Alaska in a small fishing vessel through the inside passage. I am proud to tell people I work for Livonia Public Schools but I LOVE to tell them I am a teacher at Rosedale Elementary School!!!

Ms. Guerriero - Physical Education Teacher

I am the physical education teacher here at Rosedale and Coolidge elementary.  This is my second year at Rosedale.  I have been teaching for over 25 years with Livonia and have taught at numerous schools in the district.  I received my undergraduate degree in physical education from Central Michigan University and my master’s degree from Wayne State University in elementary education.  I am truly blessed that I have had an opportunity to work with so many children in the area of health and fitness.

From the first day I walked into Rosedale school I knew I could call it home.  The warm welcome that I received from staff, parents, & students, I still feel it every day.   The enthusiasm that students have for participation in physical activity is amazing.  The support from the parents and community make Rosedale a great place to come to every Monday & Thursday.


My favorite things to do when I am not teaching are exercise related.  I have a passion for running, biking and golfing.  I have done numerous running & biking events, my biggest accomplishment was a half marathon.   I also enjoy going to Lions, Tigers and Red Wings games.  


Did you know that Rosedale has a 4th grade safety patrol that allows students to work in a variety of jobs?  Student jobs range from table monitors in the cafeteria, to door holders in the mornings, to bus line leaders in the gym.  Under the direction of Mr. Joe, our safety patrol students really help the adults in the school keep students safe and organized.  Great things are happening at Rosedale!