Friday, February 6, 2015

The Unexpected

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! If your child is anything like my daughters, they were probably pretty excited last week when the schools announced a Snow Day...and then another!  My kids went wild with excitement.  The funny thing is that they love school and seeing their friends.  So I asked them, "why are you so excited not to go to school and see your friends?" There answer was so simple and profound.  "Because it was unexpected...like a surprise".  That was it!  Even I felt a little excited about the snow days and I love being at the school.  They summed it up perfectly, it was something out of the ordinary that makes life fun. I know we can't call snow days all the time to make kids happy, but we sure can do things that are fun and unexpected from time to time.  Make yourself a promise to do something fun and unexpected with your family soon and I'll do the same.  Kids get it, we adults need to get it too! :)
photo credit: Disney's Frozen


Rosedale has a newly renovated page on Facebook!
Click on one of these links to find our page and give us a "like"

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rosedale-Elementary/142629049713
or 

STUDENTS OF THE MONTH
Habit 2: Begin With the End in Mind

UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROSEDALE

Monday, February 9: Pizza Kit Order Forms go home
Wednesday, February 11: PTSA Founder's Day Dinner at Schoolcraft College

Monday, February 16: No School
Tuesday, February 17: No School for Students - Teacher Professional Development Day

Wednesday, February 25: Pizza Kit Orders Due
Thursday, February 26: Student of the Month Assembly
Friday, February 27: Pizza Kits Delivered to the School
                                March is Reading Month Kick-Off Assembly

MEET THE ROSEDALE STAFF
Mrs. Robertson - Kindergarten Teacher

I completed my undergraduate degree at University of Michigan- Dearborn and received my Master's in Education from U of M Ann Arbor. I began my teaching career in 1996 in Dearborn Heights where I taught third grade and then kindergarten. After staying home with my children for a few years I came to work in LPS as a Title I interventionist at Cooper Upper Elementary and then at Hayes Elementary. I was thrilled when I was hired as a kindergarten teacher here at Rosedale!  I have lived in the Rosedale community for 13 years and been a Rosedale parent for nine years! I served on the PTA board and headed multiple committees here over the years and have loved being a part of it all.

I live here in Livonia with my son Jacob, my daughter Grace and our spunky little dog Coda. During my free time I love to watch my children's sports activities. Jacob plays football and baseball and Grace plays soccer. I never miss a game!  I also love scrapbooking, bike rides,and traveling to visit family in Michigan and other states. 

I am so lucky to be a part of such a wonderful school community! Rosedale has been a big part of my family's life for such a long time and having the opportunity to work with such a hard-working and supportive staff has been amazing. Its such a friendly place where students are surrounded by people who really care!

Mrs. Limberg - Resource Room Teacher

I have been a Resource Room teacher for 11 years. Along the way, I have completed two Master’s Degrees in Learning Disabilities and Reading.  I have been teaching in Livonia Public Schools for 9 years and have had the pleasure to teach at Cass Elementary and Riley Upper Elementary.  

The best part about Rosedale Elementary is the nurturing and caring environment. I love seeing my students smile when they make academic and social/emotional gains. Being a teacher is the most rewarding career and I could not imagine doing anything else!

I have been married for 4 years to my best friend, Dan. We live in Northville and have a Siberian Husky named, Nika. As with any dog, she is spoiled rotten and acts more like a child than a dog! On my free time, I enjoy spending time with my friends and family. I have been an athlete my entire life. I started at the young age of 2, dancing and riding horses and then began riding competition Equestrian, travel soccer, and tennis. One day soon, I plan to rejoin my women’s soccer league. In the summer, you will find me on my boat traveling the water of Lake St. Clair. 



Did you know 90% of Rosedale teachers have a Master's Degree or higher in education? They also receive a minimum of five days each year of ongoing Professional Development to keep up with the latest research on education and technology training. Our staff is dedicated to the success of your child. Great things are happening at Rosedale!