Friday, March 6, 2015

Camp Out and Read

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here!  As you are probably aware, March is Reading Month at our school, and we have a proud tradition of creating a fun theme with lots of activities each year to get students excited about reading.  Past themes have included Read Like a Rock Star and Read Like a Super Hero.  This year's theme is Camp Out and Read and is filled with fun prizes and activities and culminating with actual tents set up in our gym for students to visit and read in.  All of these fun activities are the results of creative thinking and a lot of work from our teachers and also the generous contributions of our PTA board!  This partnership allows for all the fun activities your children experience at Rosedale every March.  Like your child, I too am looking forward to the chance to Camp Out and Read this month!

CAMP OUT AND READ AT ROSEDALE!
photo credit: junkmail.co.za

UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROSEDALE

Friday, March 13: Reading Prize = Glow Stick (Bring a blanket to read with)
Monday, March 16: Rosedale Volunteer Recognition and PTA "Thank You" at the LPS Board Meeting at Central Office 7:00 pm
Friday, March 20: Reading Prize = S'more Snack (Bring a stuffed animal to read with)
Wednesday, March 25: Magic of Books Assembly
Thursday, March 26: Student of the Month Assembly (Think Win-Win)
                                   Skate Night at Riverside Arena 6:00-8:00 pm
Friday, March 30: Reading Prize = Mini Flashlight
Wednesday, April 1: Camp Out and Read Day = Reading Tents in the gym!
                                  PTA Meeting in the Library 6:30 pm (Pizza and Childcare provided)
Thursday, April 2: March is Reading Month Awards Assembly
Friday, April 3: Spring Break Begins!

MEET THE ROSEDALE STAFF

Mrs. Madaus - 2nd Grade Teacher

Although I grew up in Wisconsin, Michigan has been my home for many years.  I’ve been teaching 27 years in Livonia, first at Grant and then at Johnson/ Rosedale, mostly 2nd grade but 1 year in a 2/3 split and several years in 3rd grade.  I received my Bachelor’s degree for the University of Wisconsin and my Master’s degree for Oakland University.  I’m married to Jim with 2 grown children, 1 son-in-law and 2 granddaughters.  We have a Golden Retriever named Harley, who is the basis for all kinds of classroom stories.

My favorite thing about Rosedale is that I feel that we’re the “village” for our kids. Our staff and community help and support each other for the good of all of our students. We’re small but I always think of “The Little Engine That Could” – that’s us! I think laughter and smiles make everything easier and Rosedale is the happy place to be!

I love to travel.  We travel back to Wisconsin to visit family, and since my children live out of state, we travel to visit Vicki, who lives near Buffalo, NY, and Scott who lives in Memphis, Tennessee.  I also enjoy weekend  car rides (Harley loves to go too). I also love to read.  Any child that’s had me as their teacher can tell you that.  I love good children’s literature. 

Mrs. Posh - Art Teacher

Hello! This is my second year as an art teacher at Rosedale.   I first got to know this building as a parent when my daughter Ava came as a Kindergartner and amazingly – now she is a 4th grader!   I am a product of the public schools system and a proud graduate of Cass Technical High School.   CT was followed by Wayne State and while at Wayne I studied abroad for a year in Manchester England.  Trying to pay back my ridiculous amount of travel debt, I took a break from collage and began worked for both the Detroit Auto Show and Thanksgiving Day Parade.   While I enjoyed working on big events, 17 years ago I decided to look toward smaller events and the rewarding (and exhausting!) world of education.

The thing I enjoy most about Rosedale (other than seeing my daughter every day!) is our diverse student population.   Many adults could learn about respectful and tolerance, watching our students interact with one another.

Ava, her Dad (Rob, a Detroit Fireman) and I love to travel, go to flea markets, watch 1960’s and 1970’s television and take care of our honey beehive.


Did you know that every year our PTA dedicates a portion of their budget each year to promote literacy at Rosedale? They fund our Reading Month theme activities, our leveled library to use with reading intervention groups, our Accelerated Reading program, Time for Kids and Scholastic magazines, and most recently the purchase of science classroom reading books.  Their support and partnership really helps our students succeed.  Great things are happening at Rosedale!