Friday, March 13, 2015

The Golden Apple

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! One of the ways our district recognizes outstanding volunteers is through a Golden Apple award.  This award is for service above and beyond the normal call of duty.  This month, we are pleased to announce that Mrs. Broccardo, a dedicated Rosedale/Johnson volunteer will be receiving this special award.  Mrs. Broccardo started volunteering at our school when her son started kindergarten.  He just celebrated his 50th birthday! For the past 45 years, teachers and students have had the pleasure of seeing "Mrs. B" in the hallways and classrooms as a volunteer.  She will receive her award at the March 16 Board Meeting at 7:00 pm and the meeting is open to the public.  We are lucky to have such a dedicated and caring volunteer!

photo credit: kidsfoundation.net

UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROSEDALE

Monday, March 16: Presentation of Golden Apple Award to Mrs. Broccardo and Recognition of Rosedale PTA board at the School Board Meeting at Central Office 7:00 pm
Friday, March 20: Reading Prize = S'more Snack (Bring a stuffed animal to read with )

Tuesday, March 24: Spring Pictures
Wednesday, March 25: Magic of Books Assembly
Thursday, March 26: Student of the Month Assembly (Think Win-Win)
                                   Skate Night at Riverside Arena 6:00-8:00 pm
Friday, March 27: No School for Students (Teacher Work Day)

March is Reading Month
A big thank you to Mrs. Alles, LPS Curriculum Director, for being a 3rd Grade guest reader!

MEET THE ROSEDALE STAFF


Ms. Larabell - Kindergarten Teacher


Hello,I am Jenna Larabell. I have been teaching for about three years.  I have subbed in LPS for two of the three years.  I have mainly taught at the kindergarten and first grade levels.   I have just been hired by LPS to be a full time teacher in the district. I was born and raised here in Livonia.  I graduated from Stevenson High School then attended Grand Valley State University.  At GVSU I majored in Integrated Science, Elementary Education.  I am now currently working towards my master at Eastern Michigan University in Early Childhood Education. 

One of my favorite things about Rosedale is the supportive staff.  I started this year as a long term substitute and had support from every direction.  Another is the families.  I have been welcomed into the school and have had a chance to get to know many of you.

Outside of school I like to exercise and read.  I work out a few times a week and love being outdoors.  I also love to read.  I always have a book going and read every day.  My favorite books are Defending Jacob and Gone Girl.            

Mrs. Jouppi - Speech Therapist


My name is Sandy Jouppi and I am the Speech Pathologist at Rosedale Elementary.  I received my Graduate and Undergraduate degrees in Speech and Language Pathology from Eastern Michigan University. My husband Joe and I live in Canton with our two wonderful children.  Luke is 13 and starting high school next year and Shelby is 10 and going to middle school next year. I feel like I blinked and now I will no longer have a child in Elementary school.

I love Rosedale!  The teachers are genuine, caring and dedicated to giving their students the best education possible.  Our volunteers are fabulous and I love seeing them around Rosedale making sure our school looks warm and inviting.  Of course, we can't forget the eager and excited to learn students!  Speech therapists are moved around every year in Livonia due to caseload numbers.  At the end of each year, I panic that they may move me from Rosedale.  When I fill out where I would like to be next year, my first choice is always Rosedale.  It is underlined and starred many times!  If they do decide to change my placement, I may just refuse to leave!  LOL!

I love camping and traveling.  My family and I found a great way to combine these two.  We have a travel trailer that we use all summer long.  We usually go on a two week trip somewhere in the U.S and try to see as many states as possible.  My kids are also involved in sports and I love watching them play soccer, football, baseball and basketball. 


Did you know that Rosedale has a partnership with the Rotary Club and Costco to provide Early Literacy Volunteers (or ELVs) with many of our students?  These dedicated volunteers are trained and scheduled by Mrs. Tracey Jakubowski who coordinates the ELVs program.  Our students look forward to their weekly visits from their reading partners. Great things are happening at Rosedale!