Friday, March 27, 2015

Time Really Flies

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here!  This week, we celebrated the 13th birthday for my oldest daughter.  It's hard to believe that I am now the parent of a teenager.  It seems like just yesterday she was born.  I'm sure you have all had the feeling of "where did the time go?".  I guess that's our reminder to cherish each moment with our children.  I feel truly blessed not only for the experiences I enjoy with my daughters, but also that I get to be a part of your child's life as well.  Together, we can help fill their elementary years with memories of fun and learning!

The Value of Time (3 minute video)

March is Reading Month
Thank you Mayor Kirksey for being our special guest reader!

Congratulations to our Students of the Month
Habit 4: Think Win-Win

UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROSEDALE

Wednesday, April 1: Camp Out and Read in the Gym!!  Students can read in tents in the gym.
                                  PTA Meeting at 6:30 pm (Pizza and Childcare provided)

Thursday, April 2: Reading Awards Distributed to top Readers
                              Report Cards go home

Friday, April 3: No School (Spring Break Begins)

Monday, April 13: School Resumes


ROSEDALE SKATE NIGHT AT RIVERSIDE ARENA!


MEET THE STAFF
Alisa Djakovic - English Language Paraprofessional

This is my second year in Livonia Public Schools. I have a Bachelors degree in Psychology from Michigan State University and am certified to teach English as second language. Currently, I am working toward a dual Masters degree in Clinical Mental Health and School Counseling at Oakland University. I was born in Bosnia and Hercegovina and moved to Germany when I was 1 year old due to a genocide occurring in my home country. My family and I moved to the U.S. when I was six years old and we have been here ever since. I speak German and Bosnian/Serbian. 

My favorite thing about Rosedale is the diverse cultures that I see and hear about regularly from the many multicultural students I work with. Our student body is comprised  of students that come from a least a dozen countries around the world. They are all so unique and bright in their own way and I enjoy spending time getting to know each of them. Mostly, I enjoy encouraging them to express and be proud of their cultures!! 

Although I'm quite time limited these days, two things I like to do outside of school is exercise and go to the movie theater. I run at the gym and do various weight work. It's a great stress reliever! Since childhood, going to the movies has always been an adventure to me. To this day, I become so immersed in the film, I feel like I'm actually in it! It's like a little escape. :) 

Elissa Mugianis - English Langauge Paraprofessional

I was born and raised in Detroit, and grew up speaking both Greek and English in the home.  My educational background consists of a bachelor’s degree in Sociology and Anthropology from Kalamazoo College, a master’s from Eastern Michigan University, and the completion of an ESL infused teacher-training program at St. Petersburg College in Florida.  I have done great deal of international travel, studied the Spanish language and culture in Spain, and lived for 3 years on the Greek Islands of Paros and Ikaria.  Prior to entering the field of education, I worked in small businesses and non-profit organizations.  My life partner Noel is a visual artist from Cuba.

I was hired in Livonia Public schools in October of 2014, and work at 5 schools. There are many wonderful things about Rosedale, but my favorite aspect of the school is the students; I always look forward to seeing each group I have, and take great pleasure in supporting their educational journeys. 

When away from work I enjoy spending time with my beautiful 3-year-old niece Amora, and keeping myself informed of social justice issues and global politics. 


Did you know that Rosedale provides math support for students in a variety of ways? Qualifying 3rd and 4th grade students can participate in a before school math club Monday through Thursday with our Title I paraprofessionals.  In addition, we have Churchill student volunteers come over to work with struggling students from all grades in math skills.  The students love the extra help and look forward to their small group time.  Great things are happening at Rosedale!