Friday, April 17, 2015

Service Above Self

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here!  As a member of the Livonia Rotary Club, I have the opportunity to serve our community in a variety of ways.  Our club has a motto of "Service Above Self" and our members work for global projects like polio eradication and clean water to local projects like Rotary Park.  Most recently, I had the chance to volunteer with my daughters at the Easter Egg Hunt in Rotary Park.  It was a great chance to make a lot of children happy and I even saw several Rosedale families at the event.  More importantly, it was a chance to give back to the community and to model for my children the benefits of community service.  I knew it was a success when I heard my daughters say, "That was fun working the kids!".  Who knows, maybe they will become educators and feel that joy every day like I do when they grow up!

Volunteering at Rotary Park!

YOUTH MAKING A DIFFERENCE
The Youth Making a Difference (YMAD) Celebration will be held at Stevenson High School. If your student participated in an individual project, please arrive after to set up his or her display in Stevenson’s Cafeteria.

Tara Consolino will be setting up the rest of Rosedale Elementary School-wide and Classroom Projects between 4:30 and 5:30; please keep your eye out for these exciting displays! The plan for the YMAD Celebration is for the displays to be set up in the cafeteria. The auditorium will open their doors at 5:30 and at 6:15 Dr. Lieipa will speak briefly followed by Mayor Kirksey and then prepare to be dazzled by a magician as the finale.

Just to recap: this is a free event to celebrate the children in the Livonia Public Schools and how they have given back to the community during the year this year and get inspired for new projects for next year. Please join us for this incredible celebration!

UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROSEDALE

Tuesday, April 21: YMAD Celebration at Stevenson High School
Wednesday, April 22: 2nd Grade "Talking Zoo" presentations in the gym
                                    Earth Day- All students will do a "Rosedale Clean Up" during the day
Thursday, April 23: 4th Grade Class Picture in the morning

Thursday, April 30:  Student of the Month Assembly (Seek First to Understand)
Friday, May 1: 4th Grade "Wax Museum" presentations in the gym

Tuesday, May 5: No Students (Teacher Work Day and Election Day)
Wednesday, May 6: Arts, Beats, Eats, and Books 6:00-8:00 pm (flyers will come home soon)
Thursday, May 7: PTA Meeting (Board Election Night) 6:30 pm
Friday, May 8: Skate Night at Riverside Arena 6:00-8:00 pm

MEET THE ROSEDALE STAFF (School Age Child Care - SACC)

Roxanne Foreman-Hoover - SACC
Over the last 16 years I have worked for Livonia Public Schools with the School Age Child Care program, four of which have been here at Rosedale.  In addition to my learnings in child care I am also a licensed hair stylist and have an applied science degree in management.  I have been married for 21 years to my best friend and husband Rob.

The feeling of a small community is one of my favorite things about Rosedale.  That in addition to helping children learn to become independent and make good choices gives me a great sense of accomplishment.  

My husband and I really enjoy reading, expanding our range of understanding and enjoying what life has to offer.  We spend a significant amount of time travelling across the US on our Harley and commuting to our second home in northern Michigan.

Beth Tosto - SACC

My name is Beth Tosto and I have been working for the SACC program for four years. I have been at Rosedale for over a year now. I have an Associate Degree from Schoolcraft college in Science. I am currently attending the University of Michigan-Dearborn for a Bachelors degree specializing in Children and Families. I was just recently married to my husband James this past September. We have a playful Boston terrier named Bentley.

My favorite part about Rosedale is the sense of community within the building and the students. The staff is so welcoming and helpful to our program. I also enjoy spending my mornings and afternoons with an amazing group of kids. It is so incredible to see them learn and grow more with each school year.

In my free time I enjoy running outdoors and my new found love for Yoga. I also like to do arts and crafts as well. I find it relaxing and fun to be able to express myself creatively.




Did you know that Rosedale offers a before and after school child care program for our families? The School Age Child Care program, or SACC, is open each morning at 7:00 am and after school until 6:00 pm.  Interested parents can call the school for more information at ext. 41130.  The program is run by a professional and friendly staff and allows students to stay in the familiar school setting. Great things are happening at Rosedale!