Thursday, April 2, 2015

Spring has Sprung!

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here!  I can't believe that spring break is upon us and we are beginning our final quarter of the school year.  Our students have been busy with our Reading Month activities and our online math assessments.  They are ready for some time off!  I would like to wish all of you a safe and happy Spring Break and I hope you can make some memories with your child.  I'm looking forward to seeing everyone when we return on April 13!

Spring Break is Friday, April 3 - Sunday, April 12

photo credit: www.pinterest.com
March is Reading Month
Students are "Camping Out to Read"!

Congratulations to two of our Rosedale students for Art Awards!
Elias Dibah created a gorgeous sunflower using metallic paint, cut and torn construction paper and multiple layers of tissue paper.  It was entered into the Michigan Art Education Association show and was chosen to be a part of the 2015 MAEA Statewide Elementary Art Show at the Grand Rapids Museum of Art.  In addition, Elias will be participating in an art workshop at the Kendall College of Art and Design and attend an award ceremony afterwards.

Sam Provalenko painted a beautiful Acrylic and Tempra painting that challenges the notion that only certain things are appropriate subject matter for artwork.  His piece focuses on the numbers 1 - 35 and is an incredible job of color mixing.  Sam's piece was one of only 15 Kindergarten through 12th grade artworks chosen from hundreds of pieces submitted for entry into the Michigan Department of Education Exhibit.  His painting will brighten the office of the Michigan State Superintendent in Lansing for one full year!  

Congratulations to these two fine and hardworking artists!

UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROSEDALE

Friday, April 3 - Friday, April 10: No School as we celebrate Spring Break!

Monday, April 13: School Resumes
Thursday, April 23: 4th Grade Class Picture with Lifetouch
Monday, April 27: Testing Window Opens for 4th Grade M-Step Assessment (formerly MEAP)

MEET THE ROSEDALE STAFF

Mrs. West -  Music Teacher

My name is Amy West and this year is my 5th year teaching music with LPS! I also teach at Webster & Cooper. My job is a blast because I get to make music with kids all day. I live in Farmington Hills with my husband Brandon, and 8-year old son, Calvin. Yes, I named him after the beloved Calvin and Hobbes comic strip. I am a graduate of Western Michigan University where I received my Bachelor of Music Education. My career began teaching music in Lansing, MI, then Cincinnati, OH. After that I taught music in Helena, Montana, and then moved back to my hometown of Farmington Hills! I own a private piano studio called Maplewood Music. 

Although I only teach Mrs. Robertson’s Kindergarten class at Rosedale, this school has made a very warm impression on me! Mr. Wenstrom is a wonderfully supportive principal and I enjoy working with him. Mrs. Robertson has been lovely to work with as well. I am enjoying the diverse population of adorable students in her class.


Traveling the great state of Michigan is one of my passions. My family loves to explore Michigan’s beauty through camping, hiking, and geocaching. I also love art! My son, Mother, and I are taking a ceramics class together right now and are enjoying making all sorts of interesting things! Finally, I love reading, especially books that have been made into a movie. I have yet to see a movie that was better than the book! Our family read-aloud book is currently “Wonder” by R.J. Palacio. So far, it is fantastic.

Mrs. Gordon - Art Teacher

I have been teaching Visual Arts in Livonia Public Schools for five years. I am currently teaching at Hoover, Cass and Rosedale Elementary Schools. I am pleased to be a part of the Rosedale family, even if only for one class. I have a great passion for the arts and enjoy creating my own artwork in my spare time. I also enjoy tending to my flower garden and spending time on the lake up north in the summer. I appreciate the time spent with my husband, Mike and our daughter, Victoria. Let’s not forget the cat, Bumper, my eighteen year old pal!

I am so happy to be able to share my knowledge, experience and enthusiasm for art with our students. Helping them develop their skills and express their creativity fills me with joy.  I am grateful to have this opportunity and love to see the wonderful ideas young people have to share.


Did you know that our PTA is looking for people to serve on our board for the 2015-2016 School Year?  For the month of April, there will be a "nomination box" along with a list of current nominees for positions in our front lobby.  Nominations will continue up until our May 7 meeting, when we will vote on future officers.  If you've considered getting involved in PTA, take a look at the positions and let us know if you're interested in serving.  Great things are happening at Rosedale and many of them are possible because of our partnership with PTA!