Friday, May 22, 2015

Volunteerism

Hi Folks, Jon Wennstrom here! I recently looked up the definition of the world volunteer and this is what I found. Vol-un-teer: A person who freely offers to take part in an enterprise or undertake a task.  However, a volunteer means so much more to those who work at a school. For us, it is a person who selflessly serves the students and staff by helping with learning stations, one on one reading and math support, or "other duties as necessary".  Volunteers are also the ones that make possible our after school events like our upcoming Spring Fling!  Our staff realizes all the great things that are possible because of our volunteers and this week we recognized them through our Volunteer Tea. Together, we can make every child successful!

In addition to our Volunteer Tea, we also had our Early Literacy Volunteer (ELVs) celebration!


UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROSEDALE

Monday, May 25: No School in observance of Memorial Day
Thursday, May 28: Student of the Month Assembly (Habit 6: Synergize!)
Friday, May 29: Spring Fling/Basket Raffle/Music Concert 6:00-8:00 pm

Monday, June 8: Field Day
Thursday, June 11: Last Day for Students (12:10 Dismissal)


MEET THE ROSEDALE STAFF


Melissa Peterson - Lunch/Recess Monitor

Hi!  My name is Melissa Peterson and I am one of the moms who supervise lunch recess at Rosedale.   I am a Toledo native and have an undergraduate degree in accounting from the University of Toledo. My husband, Mark and I met in an unusual way.  Mark is from Flint.  Our jobs brought us to this area and a genuine matchmaker did the rest.   We have been married for 13 years.  We have one son, Nicholas, who’s 10 and in 4th grade.  Mark is a Database Administrator by profession.   Nicholas is quickly following his dad’s lead with a love of computers.

Outside of Rosedale, I love to cook and try new recipes on my “test kitchen” (also known as Mark and Nicholas).  I can be found at the Rec Center doing Zumba and Yoga.  I also love to travel and putter in my garden.


What I love about Rosedale?  It’s pretty simple.  The teachers are top-notch.  The school is small and the kids are individuals and not a number.  It’s a great place to start your education in Livonia Public Schools. 

Birthe K - Lunch/Recess Monitor
My name is Birthe Korasiak. I am married and have two daughters, Cassandra age 14 and Nellie age 10. Both used to be students at Rosedale. My husband and I grew up in Germany and when he received a job offer in the States 17 years ago we decided to move and start a new life. We go back to Germany frequently to visit both our families.

I have been a monitor for the past three years and enjoy being with your kids.
Rosedale has always been my favorite school not just because it is on the smaller side but the atmosphere and relationship between staff, and staff and parents is so warm and welcoming.

When I am not at Rosedale you might see me running on Hines Drive training for an upcoming race or sitting at my sewing machine making headbands for my new business.


Did you know that Rosedale has nearly 70 volunteers that help us out throughout the year?  Being a small school has its advantages when people feel like a close-knit community!  Also, most of our lunch and recess monitors are Rosedale parents as well.  If you are interested in volunteering or becoming a monitor in the fall, please be sure to see me or your child's teacher when we have our Open House.  Great things are happening at Rosedale!