Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Summertime!

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! As we begin our summer vacation, I want to thank all of you for your support and cooperation this year in making it a fun learning experience for our students.  From fun evening events to interactive learning projects, from skating nights to music concerts, it has been an outstanding year!  I know as a child, I loved the chance to play sports, visit friends, and sleep in during the summer months. I'm sure your child is looking forward to many of these same things.  I wish you all a safe and healthy summer vacation and I look forward to seeing your child when we return in the fall!

photo credit: peanutonthetable.com

UPCOMING EVENTS

Friday, June 11: Last Day of School!
                          4th Grade "Clap Out" at 11:45 am
                          All Students dismissed at 12:10 

Tuesday, September 8: School Resumes!

Thursday, September 15: Open House 6:00-7:00 & Curriculum Night 7:00-8:00 pm


MEET THE ROSEDALE STAFF
Loretta  Zimes - School Social Worker
Hi! My name is Loretta Zimes. I am the School Social Worker at Rosedale Elementary. I service a total of five elementary schools within Livonia Public Schools (e.g., Rosedale, Grant, Hayes, Roosevelt, and Cleveland). I am thrilled to be part of the Rosedale community.  I graduated with my master’s degree in Social Work from the University of Michigan. I have worked as a social worker (for the past 33 years) in various settings and with a variety of age groups. I have been at Livonia Public Schools for the past 16 years. I am happily married to my husband Jim; we have three boys, Kyle age 23 who is in his last year in Chemical Engineering at Michigan State, Kevin age 21 who is in Computer/Business Management at Wayne State, and Michael age 17 who recently graduated from high school. We also have a Labrador retriever named Coco (I can’t forget her) 

My favorite thing about Rosedale is its sense of community along with the wonderful people. The students and parents are great. The teachers will go out of their way to help students succeed. The teachers and support staff are truly engaged in the student’s academic life and in their emotional well- being. Mr. Wennstrom leads by example, his door is always open and he is continuously looking forward to help struggling learners. Rosedale is a great school for so many reasons.

When I am not at work, I like to read a good book or watch a movie. I also love politics and current events, therefore I try and stay on top of what is going on in the world. We can’t forget Coco, she’s turning six in October. Coco is a dock dog, she will run the length of the dock, jump in the air to catch a ball or stick. She loves the water and playing catch. Coco will place the ball in your open hand after fetching the ball. She will never deny a walk either
Amy Barringer - School Psychologist 
My name is Amy Barringer and I am the school psychologist at Rosedale. I have worked as a school psychologist for 9 years. I worked in elementary and middle schools in Detroit Public Schools for 7 years before coming to Livonia Schools. I live in Novi with my husband and our dog. 

My favorite things about Rosedale include the excellent leadership of Mr. Wennstrom, the welcoming and efficient main office staff, the high quality and dedication of the teachers, and the diversity of the students. I have worked in many different buildings, and I can say with confidence that Rosedale is one of the best!

When I am not at work, I love to travel, cook, shop, read and nap. I spend a lot of time outside walking and training my dog.
Jonathon Wennstrom - Principal
I grew up near Ludington on Lake Michigan, so I spent most of my summers in the water! I went to college at Western Michigan University and was an elementary teacher in Cadillac. While teaching, I also coached the varsity wrestling team and directed a couple of high school musicals. I later became the principal in the same building I taught in.  I moved to southeast Michigan about eight years ago and was an elementary principal in Warren before coming to Livonia Public Schools.  I've been at LPS for just over three years and absolutely love it!!  My wife Stacy works for the Journal of Preventative Medicine at U of M and my daughters Marina and Mira are going into 8th and 6th grades.

My favorite thing about Rosedale?  The incredible, talented, and dedicated staff!!!  It's so nice to work with a group of professionals that work tirelessly to make sure each child is successful.  

Outside of school, I love to play guitar, travel, read and spend time with my family. From time to time I perform community theater at Barefoot Productions in Plymouth. I also collect comic books (surprise:) and have every Superman comic published since 1972.  

Did you know that Rosedale will be welcoming two new preschool classrooms in the fall?  We are pleased to have the Great Start Readiness Program (formerly at Perrinville) come to our building. As a former GSRP coordinator, I am thrilled to have this wonderful program in our school.  Welcome GSRP!!!  Great things are happening at Rosedale!