Friday, September 11, 2015

Five Words

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here!  Last week I mentioned that each of our staff members submitted five words that they would like students to use when describing their classrooms.  Each week a featured staff member will share out their five words in the update, just as I did last week.  It was posted on our Rosedale Facebook page, but I wanted to share again the Word Cloud that was created using our classroom descriptors.  The more often a word was mentioned by a teacher, the larger the word appears.  You can see from our word cloud that Rosedale teachers want learning to be FUN for our students.  Words like safe, welcoming, and excellence also appear frequently.  What a great atmosphere for our Rosedale students!  It's going to be a great school year.



UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROSEDALE

Tuesday, September 15: Open House 6:00-7:00 pm and Curriculum Night 7:00-8:00 pm

All parents/students are invited to the gym at 6:00 pm for a brief welcome back by Mr. Wennstrom. Immediately following the introduction, parents and students are welcome to visit classrooms and tour the school. Just a reminder this is a meet and greet with teachers.  Conferences will be scheduled for November.  

At 7:00 pm, an announcement will be made for all students to report to the gym for the magic show so that parents may attend the curriculum portion of the evening.  At 8:00 pm, all students may be picked up from the gym for dismissal.  It's going to be a fun and informative night!

Thursday, September 17: Red White &Blue Day!

In honor of Constitution Day, we ask that all students wear Red, White, & Blue to school next Thursday.  

Friday, September 25: Skate Night at Riverside Arena 6:00-8:00 pm

MEET THE ROSEDALE STAFF


Mrs. Weakley - Kindergarten Teacher

My name is Tracy Weakley. I am very proud to be one of the kindergarten teachers here at Rosedale! I grew up in Livonia and went to Nankin Mills elementary, Emerson middle school and Franklin High school. I always knew I wanted to be a teacher and was lucky enough to begin my career in Livonia at the age of 16 working in the before and after school child care program (SACC). While working in SACC, I earned my degree from Eastern Michigan University in Elementary education with an early childhood endorsement. I also have a master’s degree from Madonna University in special education. This is my 10th year of teaching. Before becoming a kindergarten teacher I was a pre K teacher in the Great Start Readiness program. I also taught preschoolers with special needs for many years. I am happily married to my husband Ryan of 8 years and have 3 beautiful children. Ava who is 4, Kellen who is 3, and Wyatt who is 10 months old. In my spare time I enjoy spending time with family, doing crafts and cooking. I always love trying new recipes!

One of my goals this year is to collaborate more regularly with preschool programs to help both parents and staff members prepare their children for the transition into kindergarten. This is a very big milestone for both children and families. I would love to help facilitate a smooth transition by sharing materials and providing helpful information for teachers and families. I’m looking forward to working with and learning from our new preschool staff at Rosedale this year!

The 5 words that I choose to describe my classroom environment are: Fun, nurturing, inspiring, safe and memorable!


Did you know that all Rosedale students will be using a new reading and math diagnostic this year called iReady.  This program allows students to do short computer assessments three times a year to help teachers find their strengths and weaknesses.  We piloted the program last year with small groups and the students loved it!  These tools help us give the "just right" instruction to each child.  Great things are happening at Rosedale!