Friday, September 18, 2015

Partnerships

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! As I enter my 20th year in the schools, I have found one thing to be certain...Education is about partnerships! Partnerships between students and teachers, partnerships between administration and teachers, partnerships between parents and staff, and partnerships between the school and the community.  One of the most important partnerships at our school is embodied in the PTA.  The group that brings parents, teachers, and community members together each month to coordinate activities and raise funds for much needed programs and supplies.  Our goal this year is to bring as many people as possible into this wonderful partnership and remember that many hands make light work! If you are interested in joining the PTA, please contact our membership chair Cara Williams by calling or texting 734.644.5569 or email at cara_23_@hotmail.com. When we have effective partnerships like the PTA, great things happen for our students!
For every membership your family brings in, your name will be displayed on a topping as we fill our pizzas!!

UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROSEDALE

Friday, September 25: Skate Night at Riverside Arena 6:00-8:00 pm

Thursday, October 1: PTA Meeting 6:30 pm
Friday, October 2: PTA Walk-a-Thon in the afternoon

Monday, October 12: Lifetouch Picture Day in the morning 
Tuesday, October 13: No school for students (Professional Development for staff)


ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL PROCEDURES

Parents, please be sure to have your child to the school by 8:45 am as our first bell rings at 8:49.  If you are walking your child up to the school, please be sure to park in a designated spot and use the crosswalk.  Safety is our primary concern!  

Also, at dismissal, please do not pick up your child early unless it is an emergency or for a medical appointment.  It can be very disruptive to classrooms (and the student) when they have to leave early and it takes time away from instruction.  Thank you for your cooperation and partnership! 

MEET THE ROSEDALE STAFF


Mrs. Benson - 2nd Grade Teacher

Cheers! For those of you who don't know me, my name is Sandi Benson and I am currently a 2nd grade teacher here at Rosedale.  I have been fortunate enough to be with the Rosedale community for twenty years and have taught both first and second grade during that time period. I have a bachelor's degree in Social Science and a master's degree in Educational Leadership, both of which I am proud to say that I earned from Madonna University.

Many people don't realize that my husband and I have both been lifelong Livonia residents. We are committed to this district and both feel proud to be part of the community. Livonia really is a great place to live! My husband and I have been married for 17 years. We have three wonderful daughters who keep us really busy. Christianna is our oldest daughter. She is a 9th grader and is involved in cross country, student council, and loves to sing whenever she gets the chance. Kailyn is a sixth grader and our youngest daughter Katarina is a third grader. Both of our younger girls are on competitive dance teams. As for myself, I love to read, go camping, spend time with my family, and travel whenever I get the chance.

One of my goals this year is to use Twitter to enhance my classroom teaching. I recently started my Twitter account this past summer and I have already been connecting with inspiring teachers from all over. Furthermore, I plan  to incorporate some of those amazing ideas that I am learning about into my own classroom.

My hope is that my students would use some of the following words when trying to describe my classroom:fun, inspiring, welcoming, respectful, and filled with lots of technology.


Did you know that all Livonia teachers get a minimum of 30 hours of professional development from the district each year?  In addition to that, many teachers take college courses, attend summer and weekend conferences and do professional reading throughout the year.  Our teachers model continuous learning for our students.  Great things are happening at Rosedale!