Friday, October 2, 2015

10,000

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! This week, the parent blog passed 10,000 views.  That means, during the past 9 months we've had over 1,000 views per month!  That's exciting to me, because it means that our Rosedale community is really using this communication tool and staying informed about the many great things happening in our building. My goal when creating the blog was to communicate in a more dynamic way to families, share out important events, and utilize both video and photos of activities.  Each week also showcases one of our outstanding staff members and will now also include "PTA Points" to show the great activites our PTA members are coordinating. I hope you are enjoying the parent blog and I will continue to strive to make it interesting and relevant for all our Rosedale families.


 ROSEDALE'S ROCKIN' WALK-A-THON!!



UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROSEDALE

Monday, October 5: Student of the Month Assembly/Walk-a-Thon Awards given out

Monday, October 12: Lifetouch Picture Day in the morning
Tuesday, October 13: No School for Students (professional development for staff)

Friday, October 30: Trunk or Treat 6:00-8:00 pm


MEET THE ROSEDALE STAFF

Mrs. Berrelez - 4th Grade Teacher
My family at Lollapalooza in Chicago, waiting to see Paul McCartney.

My name is Sue Berrelez and I’m currently teaching 4th grade here at Rosedale.  I have been at Rosedale/Johnson my entire teaching career.  I have taught grades 1,2,3,4,and 6.  I have a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Elementary Education and a Masters in Reading from Eastern Michigan University. Some of you know that I grew up in this area and attended Nankin Mills Elementary School and graduated from Churchill High School.  I am married to my wonderful husband Bob and we have a daughter Sara (15), who is in the 10th grade.  We also have a dog named Casey who just turned 11, but he still makes us laugh everyday with the funny, quirky things he likes to do.  I enjoy spending time with my family.  I also love gardening and reading books.  This summer we went to Chicago to see Paul McCartney, we are big Beatles Fans!

One of my goals this year is to challenge my students (as well as myself) to read 40 books of various genres by the end of the school year.  I also want to learn how to incorporate the new interative whiteboard into my classroom lessons.

Five words that I chose to describe my classroom are:  Helpful/Supportive, Inviting, Challenging, Informative, Encouraging, Collaborative  (I had to be different, I needed 6 ! )



PTA POINTS
  • The PTA would like to give a big THANK YOU to Verizon for donating snacks and drinks and providing volunteers for our Walk-a-Thon
  • We would also like to thank all of our Rosedale volunteers who helped make this event possible!!
  • Finally, thank you to all who donated to our school fundraiser!  Money will be counted this weekend and awards will be given out Monday afternoon following our Student of the Month Assembly


Did you know that all Rosedale students will be taking a math and reading diagnostic on the computer?  The iReady diagnostic will be administered three times a year to show students' areas of strength and struggles.  While the diagnostic will not be used for grading purposes, they will be used to show student growth and help guide instruction.  Please check out the parent letter that was sent out in the email.  Great things are happening at Rosedale!