Friday, October 16, 2015

What are you Reading?

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! One of our goals this year is to promote literacy (specifically reading for pleasure) with all of our students. In addition to the many ways teachers are encouraging reading in their classrooms, I've started something new with our morning announcements. Each morning, our student announcers share out what book they are currently reading (or have just finished reading).  It's a great way to start conversations about reading for pleasure. We are also looking into having students write book reviews to help generate interest for other students looking for engaging books. The research shows that the more students read the more they achieve. So, don't forget to ask your child at home, "What are you reading?" At Rosedale we are working toward igniting that love of reading and hoping that will last a lifetime!

Congratulations to Elizabeth, our student Principal for the Day!

UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROSEDALE

Friday, October 30: PTA Trunk or Treat Event 6:00-8:00 pm. If you are interested in volunteering or decorating your car, please contact Lynn Renberg at Lrenberg66@gmail.com 

Tuesday, November 3: Election Day - No School (Check out our PTA Bake sale if you can!)
Thursday, November 5: Title I Parent Informational Night 6:00-6:30 pm
                                       PTA Meeting 6:30 pm

Wednesday, November 11: Parent-Teacher Conferences in the evening
Thursday, November 12: No School for Students / Parent-Teacher Conferences day and evening
Friday, November 13: No School

MEET THE ROSEDALE STAFF

Mrs. Collins-Robison - Elementary Support Teacher
Hello Rosedale community. My name is Denise Collins-Robison (Mrs. Robison around school) and I’m the EST (Elementary Support Teacher) here. This is my 9th year at Rosedale and I still love it! I can’t imagine another school or role in which I’d rather serve. I truly believe that we have a very unique and special TEAM here with our skilled, dedicated, caring staff; diverse and eager students; and supportive, involved PTA and families.

I’m a Social Worker by education, experience and heart, graduating from Michigan State (Go Spartans!) with Bachelors’ in SW and Psychology, and Masters’ in Clinical and School SW. Prior to joining Rosedale, I worked for 25+ years in Mental Health and Substance Abuse settings with children and families, taught at Wayne State and Schoolcraft College, and lead Prevention and Parenting education programs in Livonia and W/W schools. This varied SW and education experience has been a great help to me in my EST dual role, as I provide both behavioral, social and emotional support to our students and their families, as well as academic interventions to our eager Kindergarten learners. It’s always so interesting! I also lead and am dedicated to our Rosedale PBS / Positive Behavior Support program, which for the past 2 years has merged our 3 BE’s with the 7 Habits concepts.

I’m a Livonia native, LPS graduate, and my husband Dave and I live in Livonia too. Our 2 young adult sons, Jacob (soon to graduate EMU) and Colton (2nd year at Schoolcraft) are Churchill graduates, so I feel a special pride and commitment to our LPS community. In my spare time, I enjoy getting outside to walk, bike ride and garden; staying in to read and do crafts; spending time with family and friends, and vacationing up north.

Although I’m more a people person than “techie”, one of my goals this year is to find ways to merge our great new Bond enhanced technology with our PBS / 7 Habits program.  The 5 words I chose to describe my EST role this year are: Caring, Supportive, Fun, Safe and Inspiring.

PTA POINTS
  • Box Tops and Campbell Soup labels fall deadline is October 23.
  • Please contact Lynn Renberg at Lrenberg66@gmail.com if you are interested in volunteering for the Trunk or Treat event on Friday, October 30.
  • If you are interested in joining our fabulous PTA please contact Cara Williams at cara_23_@hotmail.com


Did you know that our teachers are working on Content Integration? They are taking subject matter like reading, writing, and science and blending them together during lessons.  A science project may include reading for a research project and then writing to show how the experiment was carried out. It's a way of teaching all our subjects in a way that is meaningful and connected to real-world experiences for all our students. Great things are happening at Rosedale!