Friday, January 29, 2016

A Galaxy Far, Far Away

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! This week, Rosedale students had a very special visitor from a galaxy far, far away. If you are familiar with Star Wars, you would have recognized the familiar outfit of a storm trooper at our Youth Making a Difference assembly. At the assembly, one of our Rosedale parents, Eric Alexander, shared how he turned his passion for Star Wars and costume making into something that helps children and our community. Eric and his group, the 501st Legion, donate their time and talents to such charities as Make a Wish Foundation and visit our local Children's Hospital to brighten the lives of children. What a great example for our own Rosedale students. How are you using your time and talents to help others?

Youth Making a Difference Assembly

UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROSEDALE

Thursday, February 4: PTA Meeting 6:30 pm in the library
Friday, February 5: 4th Annual Daddy Daughter Dance (and dinner) 6:00-8:00 pm

Monday, February 15: No School 
Tuesday, February 16: No School for Students / Teacher Professional Development Day
Wednesday, February 17: School Resumes

MEET THE ROSEDALE STAFF
Lynn Merchant - Second Grade Teacher
 My name is Lynn Merchant and I am currently teaching second grade here at Rosdedale. I have been at Rosedale /Johnson my entire teaching career. I have spent the last 17 years teaching kindergarten, first and second grades. I have LOVED them all. I am also our building's Literacy Leader. I have a Bachelor of Science degree from Eastern Michigan University, with three minors in Science, Social Science, and English and a major in Elementary Education. I also have a Masters Degree in Reading. I truly have a passion for teaching reading and writing to young children, and love seeing their growth in this area.

 I am happily married to my fabulous husband Dan, and we have an amazing family. THEY are all the true loves of my life! I have 2 sons (Walt and David)  2 daughters(Sarah and Laura),1 wonderful son-in-law(Eric), and 2 grand-babies(Olivia and Alana)! They are all grown with successful careers, and some are scattered about the country...thankfully the babies are next door!! When I'm not at school my husband and I love to spend time with the babies, get together with friends, watch old movies and read. My husband I love to travel, so we do that quite a bit. We have family in Oregon and California, and we try to make yearly trips there.

My professional goals this year have included trying learn the "new" ropes in second grade .... they've changed since I last taught it 10 years ago! I am also incorporating more accelerated reader into my classroom. Finally, this second semester will be the added use of more tablet time in the classroom. 

Five words I would use to describe my classroom are: Fun, Giving, Busy, Journalistic, Exciting.


PTA POINTS
Clipping Box Tops is SWEET! A new 2 week box top competition starts Monday! Any student that brings one box top to school will receive a piece of candy! More details will be sent home on Monday. (limit one piece of candy per student)
  • The winners of the Boys vs Girls competition will be announced next week. Thank you for clipping box tops and helping Rosedale PTA!
  • Dessert donations for the Daddy Daughter Dance can be brought to the school on Friday, February 5.  Thank you for your generosity!
  • We look forward to seeing you at our next PTA meeting on February 4 at 6:30 pm!

Did you know we have a "Quote of the Week" at Rosedale? Every week a new inspirational quote is written on the office white board for people to read and that quote is read by a student during our morning announcements. Words can be inspirational and uplifting and we try to use them to encourage our students daily. Great things are happening at Rosedale!