Thursday, September 29, 2016

It's a Small World After All

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! Rosedale sure is a special place and one of the things that makes it so special is our diversity. Our school has students representing 13 countries and 17 languages. That's a diverse student population! Luckily, we have great support for our English Language Learners through highly qualified paraprofessionals and a staff that celebrates diversity. When students work and play closely with people from diverse backgrounds, they learn that we are more similar than different and the world is not such a big place after all!

It really is a small world! 

UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROSEDALE 

Monday, October 3: Student of the Month Assembly (Focused on Safety)
Thursday, October 6: PTA Meeting in the Library 6:30 pm 
Friday, October 7: Rosedale Fun Walk at Churchill High School Track 1:30-3:00 pm 

Wednesday, October 12: Lifetouch Picture Day!

Wednesday, October 26: Students Dismissed at 12:10 pm 
                                        Parent Teacher Conferences 1:00-4:00 and 5:00-8:00 pm 
Thursday, October 27: Students Dismissed at 12:10 pm 
                                    Parent Teacher Conferences 1:00-4:00 and 5:00-8:00 pm 
Friday, October 28: Trunk or Treat Event 6:00-8:00 pm (more information to come)

MEET THE LPS STAFF
Sheila Alles - Chief Academic Officer
I am very fortunate to a professional career that spans more than 40 years in public education.  My passion for teaching and learning has been and continues to be my driving force every day. I love my position as our district's Chief Academic Officer and I love working for Livonia Public Schools which I have done for the past twenty years.  Every day brings new challenges and projects in my job which includes curriculum, instruction, assessment, textbooks and classroom resources, school improvement, professional development, state reporting requirements, just to name a few.  In my spare time, I love to read, travel, watch movies, visit with friends, and most of all spending time with my husband.

My personal goal this year is to read at least one fiction book each month.  I know that doesn't sound like much, but I mostly read information books, articles, and online news reports for my job. My professional goal is provide guidance and support to our schools as we implement collaborative learning time this school year. 

Livonia Public Schools is the best school district is Michigan and the whole USA so it's going to be very difficult for me to narrow my list to only 5 words, but here goes.  Amazing, empowering, exceptional, responsive and welcoming.

PTA POINTS
  • Fun Walk Volunteers Needed.  If you can volunteer during school on Friday, October 7 from 1:15 to 3:15 PM for our Fun Walk, we would love to have you!!  Please contact Carol Engle at carolenglepta@gmail.com for more information or to RSVP.  We need volunteers to walk with the classes, help with snack time, and also take pictures.

  • PTA Meeting will be held on Thursday, October 6 at 6:30PM in the school library.  All are welcome.  You do not need to be a member to attend.

Did you know that Rosedale has a "Student of the Month" Assembly each month to recognize students? This month we selected one student from each classroom for the theme of Safety and next month we will recognize students for Responsibility. I love making those positive phone calls to invite parents to celebrate their child. Great things are happening at Rosedale!