Thursday, December 15, 2016

Empathy

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! This month, our students are focusing on the theme of Empathy. Empathy can be a difficult concept for students, because it's not just feeling sorry for someone, it is about "Seeing through their eyes, listening with their ears, and feeling with their heart". We've talked about it and also watched a few videos as well. I've included a short video that is geared toward adults to show the difference between empathy and sympathy. I hope it's helpful for our Rosedale families!

EMPATHY vs SYMPATHY

UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROSEDALE

Monday, December 19: Student of the Month Assembly
Tuesday, December 20: Holiday Shop
Wednesday, December 21: Holiday Shop
Friday, December 23: Students dismissed at 12:10 pm (Winter Break Begins)

Monday, January 9: School resumes
Thursday, January 12: Title I Parent Night 6:00 pm
                                     PTA Meeting 6:30 pm 
Friday, January 13: PTA Popcorn Sales (50 cents a bag)

Monday, January 16: No School for MLK Day

MEET THE LPS STAFF
Ben Hillard - District Math & Science Coordinator
Hello Rosedale community! My name is Ben Hillard, and I am the Math & Science Curriculum Coordinator. Part of my responsibilities include coordinating materials and working with math and science teachers throughout the district to provide more meaningful instruction. I am in my second year in this role, and previously taught for 10 years in Livonia Public Schools. My teaching career took me through several elementary schools, including Randolph, Hayes, McKinley, and Webster. My wife, Gail, is also a teacher in Livonia Public Schools. She teaches third grade at Randolph Elementary. We have three children: Cole (8), Tate (6), and Charlotte (3). Between school and sports, we stay pretty busy at home.

One of my goals this year has been to communicate more effectively with teachers throughout the district. I’ve begun writing a short newsletter titled Math Minute to try to achieve this goal. As a longer term goal, I’d like to incorporate more authentic opportunities for critical thinking and problem solving into our science and math classrooms.

5 Words: Passionate, Dedicated, Determined, Committed, Community

PTA POINTS
  • Holiday Shop will be held Tuesday & Wednesday this week!
  • Next PTA meeting will be Thursday, January 12 at 6:30 pm (following Title I)
  • PTA popcorn sales will be held on Friday, January 13 (50 cents a bag)

Did you know that our students go outside for recess unless the wind chill is below 15 degrees? On those days we have recess in the classrooms. Most days we go outside and the students need their winter clothing (hats, gloves, winter coats, snow pants and boots). The fresh air and exercise is good for the health of our students. Thank you for making sure they are properly dressed. Great things are happening at Rosedale!