Sunday, January 8, 2017

2017

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! I'm so excited to start 2017 with all our Rosedale students on Monday. It will be a special Celebrate Monday assembly as we come together for the first time in the calendar year. We will talk about our theme for the month, which is confidence, and I will also share out my One Word Resolution for the year which is kindness. Each year I pick a theme and try to model and teach that theme in what I say and do. Last year it was gratitude and this year is kindness. I wish all of you the best for the new year and I encourage you to keep to any resolutions, goals, or even your one word. The new year is a time for new beginnings, but so is each and every day. Make them count!


UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROSEDALE

Monday, January 9: School Resumes! (Students should be at the school by 8:45 am each morning)
Thursday, January 12: Title I Parent Night 6:00 pm in the library. Dinner and Childcare will be provided.
                                  ALL parents are welcome to hear about our intervention programs and will be
                                  eligible for great prizes like family memberships to Henry Ford and Detroit Zoo!
                                   PTA Meeting at 6:30 pm (Following Title I Parent Night)
Friday, January 13: PTA Popcorn sales (50 cents a bag - limit 2)

Monday, January 16: No School - Observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Thursday, January 19: After School Science
 
Thursday, January 26: Skate Night at Riverside Arena 6:00-8:00 pm

MEET THE LPS STAFF
Katie Dodge - Coordinator of Student Services

I am so excited to be featured in Wennstrom’s Weekly. I love working with the Rosedale staff and Mr. Wennstrom. Thank you for this opportunity!

I have been working in Livonia Public Schools for 15 years. During this time I have held many different roles. I started as a substitute teacher and then was hired as an elementary teacher. I have taught grades 2-6 and different schools in Livonia (Hoover, Coolidge, Cooper, Webster, Riley, Johnson). I have also taught grades 5 and 6 as a Cross-Categorical Center teacher at both Riley and Johnson. I spent 3 years as the Elementary Teacher Consultant for the district. Currently, I am one of four Coordinators of Student Services.
In my role as Coordinator, I work with multiple elementary schools to support students with special education needs. I work collaboratively with staff to problem solve and find the best ways to ensure success for all students.  I am also blessed to supervise the Visually Impaired Department and Coolidge Center for students with Autism. I love that each day in this role I am able to provide support and guidance to staff, students, and families. Every day I wake up filled with gratitude for my son, Crosby. He is an absolute joy and gift to my life. Crosby is 21 months old and full of energy.   

One of my goals for the next year is to share and promote the use of Snap and Read across the district. This is a wonderful online tool available for students and staff to use to make text accessible. It will read anything on Google Chrome out loud and can level the text to make it easier to read.  Snap and Read will translate text as well.

My five words for LPS are Student-Driven, Dedicated, Innovative, Collaborative, Trustworthy. 

PTA POINTS
  • PTA Meeting Thursday, January 12 at 6:30 pm (Following Title I Parent Meeting)
  • Popcorn Sales on Friday, January 13
  • After School Science Thursday, January 19
  • Skate Night Thursday, January 26 6:00-8:00 pm at Riverside Arena

Did you know that Title I is a federal program that gives money to schools to provide academic intervention for struggling students? These funds are used by our school to hire paraprofessionals, purchase reading intervention materials, computer software programs, and even promote family outreach and information. It's these funds that make our Title I parent night and the giving away of family memberships to local institutions possible. We hope to see you Thursday night at 6:30 pm. Great things are happening at Rosedale!