Friday, January 20, 2017

Confidence

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! This month, our students are learning about confidence. What does it look like and how can we develop it? We kicked off the month with a video of children explaining what confidence means to them. Our quotes of the week have focused on confidence. Even our hallways signs are displaying what confidence means. We have a lot great messages for students about confidence, but as one of the students on the video stated so well, "Confidence is something that is found within." Our goal is to help students internalize those messages of confidence and make them their own. When students believe in themselves, they can do wonders! Talk with your child this week about confidence and remind them that good things happen when we believe in ourselves.


UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROSEDALE

Thursday, January 26: Skate Night at Riverside Arena 6:00-8:00 pm
Friday, January 27: PTA Popcorn Sales 50 cents a bag (limit 2)

Monday, January 30: After School Spanish 
Tuesday, January 31: Mrs. Hill's last day at Rosedale (Mrs. Sutton will be filling in)
Thursday, February 2: PTA Meeting 6:30 pm

Tuesday, February 7: After School Science 
Friday, February 10: Rosedale's 5th Annual Daddy Daughter Dance 6:00-8:00 pm

MEET THE LPS STAFF
Stephen Taylor - Coordinator of Student Services
I had wonderful parents and just visited my father on the eve of his 92nd birthday. My older brother (by 6 minutes) and I were born in Detroit but, for most of my "formative" years, we were raised in Chagrin Falls, OH where I was the only Detroit Tigers and Lions fan - which meant I was always able to choose number 6 (Al Kaline) on baseball and fast and slow pitch softball teams I was on - even through my undergraduate college education at Franklin and Marshall College. I was also an Eagle Scout as a youth - Troop 150. F&M provided an outstanding education and I got into every graduate program and chose the University of Michigan's Combined Program in Education and Psychology under the direction of Dr. William C. Morse - who also was a consultant to the Livonia Public Schools. I earned an MA in Psych., Ed.S. in School Psych. and a Ph.D. in Education and Psychology.  Most importantly, I met my wife, who was a student in the same graduate program and, to this day, the most wonderful person I have ever met.

We have three young adult children - all who make us very happy and proud.  Our oldest son is married and worked for Cal Ripkin, Jr. building youth sports facilities before becoming an Urban Planner and they are expecting their first child. Our daughter, has an economics and psych. degree but is a musician and now a project manager for a California firm that does drug testing for MLB, NBA, and the Olympics. My youngest son is a talented percussionist who is now a jazz drummer performing with many groups all over the mid-west and east coast. He also loves teaching and is beloved by students, providing private lessons and contracting with a local school district to teach percussionist sectionals.

In my career I have worked as a school psychologist and supervisor of special education as well as an Assistant Professor of Psychology and Adjunct Professor (U of D, U of M- Ann Arbor).  I have been a fully Licensed Clinical Psychologist - currently maintaining a small private practice in Ann Arbor. I left Ann Arbor for Livonia in 1997 and was a school psychologist and department chair before become a Coordinator of Student Services in 2006. I supervise psychology and social work and share the responsibility for Elementary Resource Room and our special education center programs with Dr. Katie Dodge, who, along with the other coordinators and directors, make me enthusiastic to go to work every day.

My major goal is to support the ongoing professional development and professionalism (which can be defined as being dedicated to helping students, families and staff) of all of the staff I supervise, evaluate and/or with whom I consult.


LPS is caring, self-reflective, dedicated, significantly stressed, and highly professional.

PTA POINTS
  • Skate Night will be Thursday, January 28 from 6:00-8:00
  • Next PTA Meeting will be Thursday, February 2 at 6:30 pm 
  • Daddy Daughter Dance will be Friday, February 10 from 6:00-8:00 pm 
  • PTSA Founder's Day Banquet will be Wednesday, February 18 at Schoolcraft College

Did you know that this year will mark the 5th Annual Daddy Daughter Dance for Rosedale? The event has grown each year and is such a special time for many of our girls. They bring fathers, step-fathers, grandfathers, uncles, adult older brothers, or any other special man in their lives. It's a night of dress up, food, photo booths, dancing, and most importantly, memories! If you need another registration form or have any questions or need assistance, please contact us at the main office. Great things are happening at Rosedale!