Friday, February 3, 2017

Old Man Winter

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! If you haven't noticed yet, Old Man Winter is still here and he's making his presence known! The cold temperatures are back and so is the snow! Even with the colder temperatures, it's healthy for the students to get outside and exercise...as long as they are properly dressed. Please remember that we go outside if the wind chill is above 15 degrees and it's not raining. Students still need boots, hats, gloves, and warm coats for the days we go outside. As always, if you need any assistance for gear, please contact me at the main office. With the proper gear, outside recess can be healthy and fun!

UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROSEDALE

Friday, February 10: Daddy Daughter Dance 6:00-8:00 pm

Tuesday, February 14: Happy Valentine's Day! 
Wednesday, February 15: PTSA Founder's Day Dinner & Banquet at Schoolcraft College
Friday, February 17: Special Popcorn Fundraiser Sale for Muscular Dystrophy $1.00 a bag

Monday, February 20: No School for President's Day

MEET THE LPS STAFF
 John Raymond - Administrator of Public Safety

This is my 5th year with Livonia Public Schools.  It’s an honor for me to work with a group of such dedicated professionals!

As the Administrator of Public Safety, I work closely with the Livonia Police Department and our security contractor, Blue Line to optimize the safety and security of the LPS community.  I am also responsible for developing and delivering emergency response training to the LPS staff.

Before I came to Livonia Public Schools, I was a police officer with the Livonia Police Department.  During my 25 years with Livonia PD I served in many different roles.  I was a Patrol Officer, Field Training Officer, Detective,  and Sergeant.   When I retired, I was a detective handling child and family abuse investigations. I grew up in Livonia, attended Livonia schools and married a Livonia girl.  My wife Wendy and I (the Livonia girl) recently celebrated our 25th anniversary by running a half marathon at Disney World. Our daughter recently graduated from Livonia Public Schools and is attending college in Florida.

My primary goal for this is year to complete the updates of the emergency response and recovery plans for the Livonia Public Schools.


My five words to describe LPS:  Dedicated, Determined, Compassionate, Caring and Professional.

A fun video to help build "Confidence" in students! 

PTA POINTS
  • After School Science 2/7/17
  • Popcorn Friday 2/10/17
  • Daddy Daughter Dance 2/10/17
  • Special Popcorn Friday for MDA ($1.00 for bag) 2/17/17
  • Popcorn Friday 2/24/17
  • After School Spanish 2/27/17
  • It's nomination time for the 2017-2018 Executive PTA Board. Information will be coming home soon!

Did you know all of our teachers post their learning targets for their lessons in their classrooms? If you look, you will find "I can" statements or "The leaner will" signs that show students what concepts they will learn in each of the academic areas each week. This helps teachers make sure that the lesson targets are aligned with the curriculum and also helps students understand what they should be learning and why. Great things are happening at Rosedale!