Thursday, March 2, 2017

Out of this World!

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! This week, we kicked off our March is Reading Month theme of "Reading is out of this World". It's going to be a fun month filled with outer space themed activities, a visit from the high school robotics team, and even a sky dome planetarium! Our goal is to get students excited about reading and also to stimulate their love of science and technology. Who knows? Some of our Rosedale students may be the next group of astronauts into space. Be sure to check with your child about their reading goals and ask them to share the great activities they are doing this month. I'll be sure to post pictures as well!


UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROSEDALE

Friday, March 10: Students dismissed at 12:10 pm (Teacher Work Day)

Thursday, March 16: Spring Pictures! 
Friday, March 17: Report Cards go home

Tuesday, March 21: 4th Grade Living Wax Museum in the morning

Friday, March 31: 4th Grade students visit Johnson Upper Elementary in the morning

Monday, April 3 - Friday, April 7: SPRING BREAK

Don't forget to check the March is Reading Month Calendar to keep track of all the fun events this month!

MEET THE LPS STAFF
Keith McDonald - Assistant Director of Human Resources

I grew up in Canton and currently live there, as well.  I am married to Tara, who I met in grade school.  We have a very active two-year old named William who takes up all of my time when I am not at LPS.  My LPS career began in the winter of 2000 when I student taught at Churchill High School.  I was hired there the next fall.  I taught PE and science for seven years at Churchill before becoming the scheduling assistant principal.  After four years, I was transferred to Franklin where I was the business assistant principal for three years.  My next stop was back at Churchill where I was the principal for the last three years.  Now, I am on to my next career adventure as the Assistant Director of Human Resources.  I am excited to begin my new role, but will miss the everyday interaction with the kids. 

For the remainder of the year, I have two goals in mind.  First, I want to do everything I can to make the transition go smoothly for the students, parents, and staffs of the closing schools.  I also want to continue to work with the building level administrators and teachers as the wrap up the first year of the 5D+ evaluation system.  With evaluations come a lot of stress and concern.  I want to work to minimize that stress and focus on the professional growth potential the tool offers. 


When I think of LPS, I think both the staff and community.  These are the five words I would use to describe LPS:  caring, dedicated, supportive, integrity, and grit.  

PTA POINTS 
  • Popcorn Sales March 10 & March 24
  • After School Science March 22
  • After School Spanish March 27
  • Riverside Arena Skate Night March 31
  • Spirit Wear Sales are here!!! Going on now thru March 31st! Order the NEW logo and colors! Visit the online store by using the follow web address: 
  • It's Nomination Time!!!   Please consider volunteering for a position on the 2017/2018 Rosedale PTA Executive Board.  All positions are open for nomination.  Nomination forms can be found in the school lobby and are due by April 13th.  Voting takes place on May 4th.  Please contact a member of the Nominating Committee for more information.  Carol Engle carolenglepta@gmail.com, Lynn Renberg lrenberg66@gmail, or Krissy Bisinger krice269@gmail.com

Did you know that our Reading Month theme actually takes months of planning? It begins in the summer with our PTA budget meeting as they generously dedicate all the funds necessary to make it happen. Then our committee led by Mrs. Merchant & Mrs. Benson plan out all the activities and prizes and share and coordinate with staff. It's a lot of work, but it is worth it to see the joy on the students' faces as they experience the love of reading. Great things are happening at Rosedale!
Reading is out of this World!