Thursday, March 30, 2017

RIF

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! When I was a kid, there was a program called Reading is Fundamental or RIF for short. It was a program that promoted reading, gave away books to schools, and held art prize contests for students (I won second place one year:). As much as I agree that reading is fundamental, I think the bigger idea is that READING IS FUN!!  We really work hard during March is Reading Month with all our themes, activities, and contests to instill a love of reading that will last the entire year through. When reading is fun and not just something we have to do for school, then students are more engaged and become life-long readers and learners!

Reading is "Out of this World!" 

UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROSEDALE

Monday, April 3- Friday, April 7: SPRING BREAK

Monday, April 10: School resumes
Tuesday, April 11: After School Science (grades 2-4)
Thursday, April 13: PTA Meeting at 6:30 pm (Nominations Night)
Friday, April 14: No School

Thursday, April 20: Mother-Son Event at Zap Zone!!

Monday, April 24: After School Spanish
Friday, April 28: PTA Popcorn Sales

Congratulations to our top three readers!!
1) Atharv  2) Logan  3) Vighnesh 

MEET THE LPS STAFF 
William Green - Principal of Roosevelt Elementary

My name is William Green and I am the principal of Roosevelt Elementary School.  The 2015-2016 school year was my first year as principal of Roosevelt Elementary School.  Prior to that I spent 10 years as principal at Garfield Elementary School.  My undergraduate work in teaching was completed at Madonna University with a major in History.  A few years later I completed my Master's Degree in Educational Leadership at Wayne State University.  Since that time I have taken many additional college classes, participated in a variety of leadership workshops, and continue to work on my craft by teaching a class at Madonna University. This is my twenty-second year with the Livonia Public Schools. I have served as a third, fifth, and sixth grade teacher.  In addition, I served for two years as a teacher leader and as mentioned above principal of Garfield Elementary School.

My wife Margaret and I have three wonderful children.  They are all products of Livonia Public Schools.   Luke is a sophomore at University of Michigan-Dearborn, Jackie is a senior in High School who will be attending Madonna University in the fall and Drew is a sophomore in high school.  Margaret and I both grew up in Livonia and are proud alumni of the Livonia Public Schools' school system. My wife, father, mother and niece are all either current or former educators. I reside in the city of Livonia as do a majority of my family members. It goes without saying I am deeply invested in our community and care deeply about it continuing to be a great place to raise children.  Our family enjoys traveling to the west side of our beautiful state and also participating in a variety of recreational activities with golfing as our family favorite.

My personal goal this year is to get in shape and my professional goal is to help staff FOCUS on our priorities and never lose sight of the five words below that I believe define learning at Roosevelt Elementary and Livonia Public Schools.

Five Words: Tradition, Relationships, Excellence, Perseverance, Fun!

PTA POINTS 
  • Rosedale PTA needs you!  Please consider running for the PTA Executive Board 2017/2018.  Nominations for the Board are being accepted through April 13th.For more information, please contact Carol Engle carolenglepta@gmail.com, Krissy Bisinger krice269@gmail, or Lynn Renberg lrenberg66@gmail
  • SAVE THE DATE!!!!! 4/20/17 is the 2nd Annual Mother/Son Night at Zap Zone!!! Registration flyers will be sent home soon!

Did you know that each month our "Student of the Month" awards focus on the character elements adopted by Livonia Public Schools? All schools incorporate these elements or traits into their school culture. At Rosedale, we use them for our monthly themes, weekly quotes, and daily announcements. It's great to see the students being able to explain what the elements are, but it's even better to watch them put them into action each day. Great things are happening at Rosedale!