Friday, May 19, 2017

Arts,Beats,Eats & Books

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! Last week, we held our annual Arts, Beats, Eats & Books event! This was my 6th one at Rosedale and I feel like it gets bigger and better every year. I'm so impressed with our student performances in music and art and the book fair and ice cream desserts from PTA gave it all a very festive feel! These are the moments that our students and parents remember for many years and where memories are made. I hope all of our students are making good memories at Rosedale and I'm grateful to all the staff and volunteers who made the event such a big success!


UPCOMING EVENTS AT ROSEDALE

Wednesday, May 24: Volunteer Tea in the Library 2:45-3:45 pm
Friday, May 26: PTA Popcorn Friday (50 cents a bag)

Monday, May 29: No School for Memorial Day
Thursday, June 1: Kindergarten Round Up 
Friday, June 2: Spring Fling/Basket Raffle 6:00-8:00 pm

MEET THE LPS STAFF
Sheila O'Kane - Principal of Hayes Elementary

I have four wonderful adult children, Erica, Leah, Sara and AJ. I also have a grandson named Ian, who is the center of my universe. I have a fun loving 5 month old German Short-haired Pointer named Greta that keeps me very busy! I do anything outdoors, from kayaking and mountain biking in the summer to snowmobiling and ice fishing in the winter. I treasure my position at Hayes Elementary as principal because of it's amazing staff and wonderful children. 

My goal this year was to get acclimated, but next year I hope to provide more support for student learning. It's hard to choose only five words to describe LPS or Hayes. 

I have found LPS to be a collaborative and supportive district and Hayes Elementary to be the same. I find Hayes to also be dedicated, generous and above all, HAPPY!

PTA POINTS
  • The PTA would like to thank all the volunteers who helped during our Arts, Beats, Eats & Books event!! 
  • We would like to thank Masri Orthodontics for their very generous ice cream donation at our Ice cream social.

Did you know that Rosedale has a reading program called ELVs? (Early Literacy Volunteers) The program is coordinated by Tracey Jakubowski and partners up trained adults from the community (Like the Livonia Rotary Club) and matches them with students for additional reading time each week. All participants go through a background check and training process prior to starting at the school. Our students love their time with their ELVs and we recently had our end of the year celebration party. Great things are happening at Rosedale!