Thursday, May 11, 2017

The Power of YET

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! This week, our staff discussed the topic of Growth Mindset and the power of the word YET. In a Growth Mindset model, it is assumed that success in a project depends on one's effort and work and not on their "natural ability". We focused on our language as we talk with students who may say things like "I'm not good at math" or "I'm not good at art". By adding the word "yet" to those sentences, we are showing that with hard work and determination we CAN be good at any area we wish. When we have a Growth Mindset we are taking control of our goals and taking steps toward achieving them. That's something that can help students and adults! 


photo credit: Edutopia

UPCOMING EVENTS

Wednesday, May 17: Arts,Beats,Eats & Books event 6:00-8:00 pm (All students should report to their classrooms 15 minutes prior to their performance times - see flyer for performance times)

Monday, May 22: After School Spanish
Wednesday, May 24: Volunteer Tea in the Library 2:45-3:45 pm
Friday, May 26: PTA Popcorn Friday

Monday, May 29: No School for Memorial Day
Thursday, June 1: Kindergarten Round Up
Friday, June 2: Spring Fling/Basket Raffle 6:00-8:00 pm

MEET THE LPS STAFF
Laura Carino - Principal of Buchanan Elementary
I am the proud mom of 3 awesome kiddos, Carter (age 10), Catelyn (age 8), and Courtney, (age 5). I am happily married to my husband, Chris, for the past 13 (well almost, as of Memorial Day weekend) years! Carter keeps us very busy being on a swim team and the girls are active in gymnastics. It seems like we are always running somewhere with one of them! We built our home 3 years ago in South Lyon and have a cat and 2 guinea pigs. When I'm not at work, I enjoy being outside, running, swimming in our pool, and just spending time with my family.

I have been the principal of Buchanan Elementary for the past 4 years! I truly believe that I have the best job in the world and love watching the amazing teaching and learning happening in each classroom. Prior to coming to Buchanan, I was the lead teacher at an elementary school in Ann Arbor. Next year, I will be transitioning to the 5/6 world and starting on my new professional journey as principal of Cooper Upper Elementary School. Although I will miss Buchanan, I am very eager to begin building relationships with the students, staff, and families at Cooper next year.

One of my professional goals for next year is to learn what makes the kids, staff, and parents/guardians most proud about Cooper so we can honor traditions and celebrate successes. I also hope to learn more about a few local doctoral programs and potentially enroll in one to further my own education.

5 words that represent Buchanan include: Excellence, Opportunity, Innovation, Commitment, and Passion.


PTA POINTS 
  • The PTA will be serving ice cream in the court yard during our Arts,Beats,Eats & Books event on Wednesday, May 17! 
  • With much gratitude and appreciation we would like to thank On The Border and Mangia's in Westland for providing lunches for our Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week. Because of their generosity we were able to provide wonderful lunches for our amazing staff at Rosedale!! THANK YOU!!

Did you know that Fidget Spinners are being restricted from the school? While they are fun devices and can keep children busy for hours (my own daughters have them), they can be a distraction to the learning environment. They also are causing many issues on the playgrounds with students fighting over lost devices. Unless your child has specific permission from their teacher, we are asking that all Fidget Spinners remain at home and not at school. Thank you for support and cooperation. Great things are happening at Rosedale!