Saturday, March 3, 2018

A Drop in the Bucket

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! Last week, I had the opportunity to take a quick dip in the Detroit River. A large space was cut in the ice, rescue divers were positioned,  and with swimsuit and cape, I jumped into the frigid water. By the time my body was feeling the sting of the icy water, I was already on my way to climbing up the ladder. Why did I go for a river swim in February? To raise money for the Special Olympics!

I had a lot of people tell me I'm crazy. (That was true long before the Polar Plunge). I wanted to help contribute to a good cause, but to be honest, what I did was just a drop in the bucket. I gave up a couple of hours out of my weekend and raised a couple hundred dollars. However, 300 other people also gave up a couple hours that day and they also raised money. By the end of the day, our group had raised over $100,000 for the Special Olympics and we were just one of the many Polar Plunges across the state of Michigan. All those drops in the bucket turned into a tidal wave of positive energy and made a real difference for some pretty special kids!

Every time our students perform an act of kindness or do something to help others, those little things add up and turn into big things like making people feel special or turning someone's day around. Together, we can all add a drop in the bucket and fill it full of kindness and make a difference in our school, in our community, and in our world!



UPCOMING EVENTS AT BUCHANAN

Wednesday, March 7: New Kindergarten Family Information Night 6:00-7:00 PM

Friday, March 9: Students Dismissed at 12:10 PM / Records Day for Teachers
                            Skate Night at Riverside Arena 6:00-8:00 PM

Saturday, March 10: PTA Pancake Breakfast and Book Fair Kick Off 9:00-12:00

Week of March 12: Scholastic Book Fair (in East Commons) & Jump Rope for Heart (in PE Classes)


Friday, March 16: Report Cards go home

Thursday, March 22: PTA General Membership Meeting 7:00 PM

MEET THE BUCHANAN STAFF
Mrs. Canterberry - Music Teacher

Hello Buchanan families! I am originally an East Coast Girl! Went to college at University of Kansas and graduated from University of Vermont. I obtained my Masters from Eastern Michigan University in Educational Leadership.

I have two daughters (25, 16) and 3 Chihuahuas! I am very happy to have a Mr. Canterberry who has given me my new last name, along with lots of adventure and fun!

I have been a part of LPS for almost 20 years! In that time I have had the opportunity to do many district leadership programs. I have presented Music and the Literacy Connection, I have been on School Improvement Teams, I have helped write our music curriculum, and I have been an NCA representative to other districts to help them achieve accreditation. Currently I am teaching an after school class on Positive Mindset.

One of my goals this year is to deepen my relationships with my students. As a specials teacher, I have up to 175 students in a day. They come in, I go through my lesson, and they leave. My goal is to try to engage students through music to feel safety, and a willingness to share WHO they are and what motivates them.

Five words that best describe Buchanan - Pride, Family, Fun, Caring and Motivated

PTA POINTS
  • Join us for a Skate Night at Riverside Arena on Friday, March 9 from 6:00-8:00 PM! 
  • We hope you will join us for our 1st Buchanan Books and Breakfast event on Saturday March 10, 9:00am-12:00pm! We will have breakfast served by Chris Cakes, a Guiness World Record pancake maker and our book fair will be open for shopping. Please click on the sign up genius to reserve a spot for breakfast and for more information. Please remember to bring in a new pet item donation (dog/cat toy, food, kitty litter, etc) as your entry to the event. Enjoy shopping at our book fair after breakfast! http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0545a9a62aaafb6-buchanan1
  • Join us for our 1st Moms Night Out/Make & Take party on March 21! All RSVP forms with selections & payment ( cash or check made payable to Buchanan PTA) is due March 6. Please see attached flyer for more info and choice of sayings. Child care will not be provided at this event. 

Did you know that March is Reading Month at Buchanan? Our teachers have planned many exciting events for our students including opportunities to watch a movie in the gym, a reading safari quest, decorated areas in the building for safari reading buddies, and even an all school assembly with live animals as we go Wild for Reading! We hope to instill a love a reading in our students that will last a lifetime. Great things are happening at Buchanan!