Friday, November 13, 2020

Red, White & Blue

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! This week we recognized our Veterans by wearing Red, White & Blue at school on Wednesday. It was a fun and simple way to say thank you on Veterans Day. I enjoy the fact that we say the Pledge of Allegiance each morning at school and I've even heard students on the playground talking about following our "Three to Be" pledge of being Safe, Kind and Responsible. My goal is that the words we recite each morning become actions throughout our days and throughout our lives.  

UPCOMING EVENTS

  • Thursday, November 19: PTA Meeting (Virtual) 7:00 PM
  • Wednesday, November 25 - Friday, November 27: Thanksgiving Break
  • Friday, December 4: No School (Records Day) 
Here is the link to the updated DISTRICT CALENDAR



PTA POINTS

  • PTA Meeting: Join us on Zoom for our November PTA Meeting on Thursday, November 20 at 7:00pm. Link below.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83795917036

Meeting ID: 837 9591 7036

Passcode: 0JgcSW

  • PTA Membership: Last year we had 203 PTA members, but this year we only have 95 members so far. Can you help us reach our goal of hitting last year's number? PTA membership and dues support your child by funding essential education and curriculum needs, advocating on behalf of children and educators, and building an inclusive school community for all families. Please show us your support and become a member today at our MemberHub store: https://buchanan.new.memberhub.store/store
  • Follow the PTA on Facebook: @BuchananElementarySchoolPTA



The ACAT application window opens 11/30/2020. Webster Elementary will be holding a virtual information meeting on 12/3/2020 to share information about our program. Please see the flyer attached to this email for more information! 

Please remember that each child had an iReady instructional license provided by the district this year. This resource is an incredible tool that will help provide instruction in BOTH reading and math for all our students. To be most effective, we recommend 20 minutes for reading and 20 minutes for math five days a week. Thanks for your continued partnership and support! 

MEET THE STAFF




Kindergarten Literacy Coach

My name is Mrs. Alt and I am the Literacy Coach for Kindergarten. I have two boys and we live in Canton. We love to go to Pentwater every summer and spend time at the beach.  I’m looking forward to working with the Buchanan Kindergarten Team!




First Grade Literacy Coach

My name is Mrs. Burke and I am the Literacy Coach for First Grade. I

have three boys and 2 rabbits named Mario and Luigi. We live

in Livonia and enjoy spending time outside. My favorite book is, I Need

My Monster.  I can’t wait to work with the Buchanan First Grade Team!



Second Grade Literacy Coach

     Hi!  My name is Mrs. Serazio.  I am the Literacy Coach for Second Grade.  I have three children and a dog named Gracie.  My favorite book is Peanut Butter and Cupcake by Terry Border.  I can’t wait to work with the Buchanan Second Grade Team and learn together!



Third Grade Literacy Coach 

      Hi!  My name is Mrs. McGlinch.  I am the Literacy Coach for Third Grade.  I have two little girls, 4 and 1 years old.  We love to travel up north, swim, spend time at the beach, and ride our bikes. My favorite book is The Monster At The End Of This Book by Jon Stone and Out Of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper.  Looking forward to learning together with the Buchanan Third Grade Team!



Fourth Grade Literacy Coach

Hello!  My name is Mrs. Daraskavich, but you can call me Mrs. D!  I am the Literacy Coach for Fourth Grade.  I have three daughters and a dog named Lucy.  We are a very active family and love spending time outdoors, traveling up north, hiking, boating, skiing and biking. My favorite book is Wonder, by R.J. Palacio. I can’t wait to learn together with the Buchanan Fourth Grade Team!