Friday, January 19, 2018

Reflections

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! This week we had several students recognized for their projects that they submitted for the district "Reflections" contest. It's designed to let students submit projects in a variety of art forms from drawing, to story writing and much more. I'm so impressed with the level of talent and hard work displayed by our Buchanan students and I applaud their courage for submitting their work for others to see. I've said before that I'm a firm believer in helping kids shine in any way they can, whether in academics, the arts, athletics, or in just being great kids! Thank you to the Buchanan staff for encouraging our students to be their best and thank you to our Buchanan families for supporting and partnering with the school. Together, we can help each child succeed!

REFLECTIONS WINNERS!

UPCOMING EVENTS AT BUCHANAN

Monday, January 22: Skate Night at Riverside Arena 6:00-8:00 PM & Dine out at Dave & Busters 5:00-8:00 PM

Thursday, January 25: PTA Meeting 7:00 PM

Friday, February 2: VIP Dance at Riley Upper Elementary 6:30-8:30 PM

MEET THE BUCHANAN STAFF
Mrs. Hurula - First Grade Teacher

Hello Buchanan families! My name is Becky Hurula, and I have the awesome privilege of teaching first grade here at Buchanan. I can hardly believe that this is my 12th year teaching first grade at this wonderful school. Before that I was at Roosevelt for 10 years, where I taught first, fourth and fifth grades. I love being part of this wonderful school community and I look forward to teaching and learning with my students every day.  

I live in Northville with my husband and two beautiful daughters Annika and Katelyn. We love to spend time together, and especially love travelling and taking vacations as a family. In my spare time I enjoy music, reading, cooking, and shopping. I also like to be crafty and do scrapbooking projects when I have the time. 

Some goals l I have for this school year are that all students would enjoy coming to school and that they would be excited about learning new things. I believe every student is capable of learning, improving, and being successful with the right amount of guidance. 

Five words I would use to describe Buchanan are welcoming, caring, fun, helpful and awesome!


PTA POINTS
  • Planning a trip to Disney? One of our Buchanan parents can help! Please see attached flyer or click on Facebook link for more information. Buchanan PTA will receive a portion of the profit for trips booked.
  • Looking for something to do? Monday January 22 we have a Riverside skate night from 6:00-8:00pm or join us at Dave & Busters from 5:00-8:00pm for an evening of fun and games. Attached is the flyer for Dave & Busters- you will need the flyer for us to receive any profits. You can present it to your server if you are eating or to the front desk member if you are just playing games.
  • Our VIP dance will be Friday February 2 at Riley Upper Elementary, 6:30-8:30pm. Riley has more space and we can accommodate our families better by hosting the event there. Please look for a flyer coming home next week with more information. Pre-sale tickets only, tickets will not be sold at the door. 
  • Keep sending in Box Tops labeled with student and teacher name. The class that brings in the most will win a pizza party from the PTA!! Every top is worth $.10 and they add up quickly!
  • PTA Executive board nominations for the 2018-19 school year will be coming out in early February- all positions are open. We are in need of a treasurer, if anyone is interested, please contact Nikki Watson at nalquiza@twmi.rr.com for more information. We would like someone to start "shadowing" our current treasurer as soon as possible. 


Did you know that our second grade students celebrated our 80th day of school with an 80's theme? Having gone to high school in the 80's I thought that was pretty RAD!! I'm looking forward to seeing what fun events happen in the school when we celebrate our 100th day of school.  I've even got some fun things planned for the office:)  We are always looking for ways to make learning fun for our students. Great things are happening at Buchanan!