Friday, March 9, 2018

Literacy

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! When I was in elementary school, I entered a contest for Young Authors. The book took me weeks to write and illustrate and told the story of my best friend and I taking a ride in a flying saucer. I got a ribbon for the book (probably a participation ribbon), but it really made me feel like an author! This month, we are holding several activities and events to help students get excited about reading that hopefully will last a lifetime! From assemblies, to reading safaris, to book fairs, to Battle of the Books we are turning up the excitement here at Buchanan! I hope that you are enjoying our reading activities with your child and that they are sharing their love of reading at home too! Reading is fun at Buchanan!


UPCOMING EVENTS AT BUCHANAN

Week of March 12: Scholastic Book Fair in the East Commons

Thursday, March 22: Battle of the Books for Grades 3&4 (lunch in rooms)
                                   PTA Meeting 7:00 PM

Friday, March 30: No School - Spring Break begins!

Monday, April 9: School Resumes

MEET THE BUCHANAN STAFF
Mrs. Stark - Art Teacher

I have taught art at Buchanan for almost eight years and nine and a half years with Livonia Public Schools.  I currently teach one and a half days at Buchanan and three and a half at Coolidge.  Active roles I play in my schools consist of art club, garden club, P.T.A., Leadership and climate committees, collaboration with both math and literacy teams for special events and  collaboration of character trait activities.  Four years ago, I coordinated and created a schoolyard habitat at Coolidge, which I still maintain to this present day.  During the summer I taught a “Garden Club” at Coolidge where students learned about nature, environmental issues and planted a vegetable garden, which was tended throughout the summer.  I also created and oversee the “Community Arts” program, where schools display artwork in businesses throughout Livonia.  Buchanan’s location is Merribowl Lanes!  I am also active in helping prepare and organize the annual Fine Arts Festival art show at the Civic Center library.

On a personal level, I live in downtown Farmington with my husband, ten-year old daughter and dog.  At home, I enjoy creating art (most often for school!), hiking, reading, playing and listening to music, cooking and gardening.  I love learning new things.  Currently, my family is working together to learn to speak Spanish.

As a goal this year, I would like my students to become more involved both the grading and growth process in art.  I have created “success criteria” checklists for 1-4th grade students to assess and reflect on their own learning.  So far, students have been very responsive to the process and it has allowed me to individualize my instruction even more.

Five words that would describe Buchanan: Warm, welcoming, creative, caring and accepting.

PTA POINTS
  • We are sorry to announce Nuts about Science has decided to cancel our Kindergarten & 1st grade session. This decision has been made by the company due to low enrollment. Our next session will be for 1st-4th grade only. Here is the sign up genius if you are interested in attending the next session.

There is also an attachment explaining the next session.
  • Dearborn Ham orders are due March 16, order pick up will be March 28 from 4:00-5:00pm. Enjoy a ham or kielbasa for Easter and help earn money for your school!
  • If you shop on Amazon, please consider shopping through Amazon Smile for Buchanan to earn money back. 3x your impact! From March 12-31, Amazon is tripling the donation rate on your first smile.amazon.com purchase! Go to smile.amazon.com/ch/38-2618912 and Amazon donates to James Buchanan Elementary PTA
  • Our spring book fair still needs volunteers! If you are able to help, please click on the sign up genius link to pick a time slot. The class shopping times are listed on the sign up. 
  • Need some Buchanan spirit wear? Go to www.buchananspiritwear.com to order. There is a free shipping promotion going on now until March 19 if you place an order. 

Did you know our school just completed assessing students on their reading progress through i-Ready testing and if applicable an F&P running record inventory? We are excited to share with you their Reading Proficiency Reports which will indicate your child's current reading level. Your child's Reading Proficiency Report will be sent home with their report card on March 16, 2018.

The Reading Proficiency Report
  • will list your child's current reading level on applicable assessments.
  • will indicate if your child is within targeted reading standards for their grade level.
  • will indicate if your child is required by state law to receive an Individual Reading Improvement Plan for our next intervention window.
If your child is continuing with an Individual Reading Improvement Plan, it will be sent home along with the Reading Proficiency Report and Report Card on March 16, 2018. Great things are happening at Buchanan!