Friday, April 20, 2018

Spring has Sprung (I think)

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! I'm hesitant to say this, but I think Spring is finally here! With the warmer weather, we have some outdoor projects going on at Buchanan. This weekend, our PTA and several volunteers worked in our garden area for the revitalization project. Our goal is to have a garden re-dedication ceremony this spring to commemorate our first year with blended communities. We are also working on a time capsule project (more to come later!). Another outdoor project that is happening soon is the installation of our new playground equipment. In the next several weeks, we will be receiving the new equipment that is starting to arrive at several other elementary buildings as well. The spring will be focused on exterior improvements and this summer, our interior will receive renovations and technology upgrades. It's an exciting and busy time at Buchanan Elementary!


UPCOMING EVENTS AT BUCHANAN

Tuesday, April 24: Youth Making a Difference Ceremony at Franklin High School 6:00 PM

Thursday, April 26: Art Fair (K-4), Music Concert (1st grade 6:15 PM, 2nd grade 7:15 PM), Science Fair displays up (for participating students) 6:00-8:00 PM 

Monday, April 30: PTA Meeting 7:00 PM

Friday, May 11: PTA Spring Fling 6:00-8:00 PM

MEET THE BUCHANAN STAFF
Heidi Erlandson - Head Cook

Hello Buchanan! This is my first year at Buchanan, my 5th year at LPS and my 14th year as a lunch lady. My two nephews are Buchanan alumni ðŸ˜Š.

I live in Northville with my husband and dog. We have a son & daughter. I am also a Barber, a Master Gardener, do crossfit and I'm growing my hair to donate. I've swam with dolphins & stingrays, ziplined, kayaked through luminescence and walked 60 miles in three days. I've seen Old Faithful, the Grand Canyon, Mt. Rushmore & the Statue of Liberty. I've lived in France, travelled through Spain, Italy, Germany & Sweden. We now own a cottage in Bellaire MI so we don't travel as much. 

My goals for the kitchen: to improve the lunch experience for the kids (open to suggestions ðŸ˜Š) and encourage 'reduse, reuse and recycle' whenever possible.

Five words to describe Buchanan: friendly, happy, smart, clean and safe.

PTA POINTS
  • Thank you to all the volunteers who came to help with the garden revitalization this weekend!
  • Join us for our annual Family Tigers Game on Sunday, June 3! Click on the sign up genius link to sign up. We have 112 seats reserved, tickets will be sold on a first come/first serve basis. All payment is due by April 27, cash ( exact change only) or check made payable to Buchanan PTA. Any unsold/unpaid tickets will be returned to Comerica Park. http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0e44a4ae2ca1f94-family

Did you know our 3rd and 4th grade students will be taking the M-STEP assessment soon? Testing will begin on Monday, April 30 and run through Friday, May 25. Teachers will be sending home testing schedules soon and we want to remind families to have students well rested and prepared on testing days. All 3rd and 4th grade students will be assessed in Math and English Language Arts. I'm expecting great results from our students this year. Great things are happening at Buchanan!