Friday, September 21, 2018

High Tech

Hi Folks, Jon Wennstrom here! I'm very excited to announce that ALL of our classrooms now have updated technology installed to make learning even more exciting and interactive for our students. Each room is equipped with short throw projectors that can connect to teacher computers or other units to display what the teacher wants to demonstrate. We also now have interactive boards that allow teachers and students to write notes, highlight, and even save student work done on the whiteboard. All our teachers were trained on the new technology during a professional development session and I'm sure you will see some of our new technology at our Open House & Curriculum Night! I think the thing that made me the most excited was that our training was done by Buchanan staff members who have used the technology at other buildings. What a great staff we have and I know that the best training is always from teacher to teacher!

Mrs. Benson and Mrs. Duff providing technology training for the staff! 

UPCOMING EVENTS AT BUCHANAN

Monday, September 24 - Friday, September 28: Scholastic Book Fair
Thursday, September 27: Curriculum Night / Open House 6:00-7:30 PM

6:00-6:30 PM Curriculum Night for Grades K-2 in classrooms
6:30-7:00 PM Open House for all grades
7:00-7:30 PM Curriculum Night for Grades 3&4 in classrooms

Monday, October 1: Student of the Month Assembly
Thursday, October 4: Skate Night at Riverside Arena 6:00-8:00 PM

Wednesday, October 17: Students dismissed at 12:10 PM
                                        Parent-Teacher Conferences 1:00-8:00 PM
Thursday, October 18: Students dismissed at 12:10 PM
                                     Parent-Teacher Conferences 1:00-8:00 PM

PTA POINTS 
  • The PTA invites you to wander into an Enchanted Forest Book Fair September 24-28. It’s a whimsical place full of irresistible books kids can’t wait to read so their imaginations can grow! The book fair will be open during curriculum night. Please sign up to volunteer to work during your child’s shopping time.https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f054aa8af23a7f94-book
  • Last chance to take advantage of free shipping  from September 7-24. Please visit http://www.buchananspiritwear.com to place your order. Orders can be placed all year long. 
  • Don’t forget to send in your box tops by October 20th! The class that collects the most will earn a pizza party! Please label all baggies with the teachers name. 
  • For a full list of volunteer opportunities please check out the link below.  https://m.signupgenius.com/#!/showSignUp/20F054AA8AF23A7F94-buchanan
  • Please support the Buchanan PTA by joining today. Your membership alone will give us a BIGGER voice in our school and community! Budget, programs, school events and volunteer opportunities will be discussed at monthly meetings. The classroom that gets the most PTA members will earn a classroom stipend. Join on our website  https://buchanan.memberhub.com. Click on the shop tab at the top of the page to submit your membership. 
MEET THE BUCHANAN STAFF
Laurisa Burke - Literacy Coach

Greetings Buchanan Bears! My name is Laurisa Burke, and I am a Buchanan graduate. It feels so nice to be back “home.” I attended Livonia Public Schools from Kindergarten through 12th grade. After graduating, I attended U of M Dearborn. Once earning my degree, I began my teaching career in Florida. I taught 2nd and 4th grades in The Villages, Florida. There I also earned my master’s degree in Educational Leadership.  After having my first son, we decided to move back to Livonia to raise our children by family.

Since being back I have worked at numerous Livonia schools. I spent the majority of my time at Coolidge, where I taught kindergarten for 3 years and 4th grade. This year I began a new chapter as a district Literacy Coach. I spend my time split between Buchanan, Roosevelt and Central Office.  I am very passionate about helping both children and adults celebrate their strengths and grow to their full potential! My husband and I have Benjamin,6, and Winston, 2. We love spending time outdoors, visiting museums/aquariums, and being together! Thank you for welcoming me to the Buchanan community!

One goal I have this year is to attend training opportunities to continue to grow in current literacy best practices.

3 Words to describe Buchanan include: welcoming, inspiring, and growing.




#BuchananBears


Did you know that our teachers receive professional development training all through the year? Each teacher receives 30 hours of training every year in the form of full day training sessions, half-day training sessions, and even one hour training sessions before school. Training may be focused on curriculum, technology, educational best practices and so much more. Our teachers are modeling life-long learning for their students. Great things are happening at Buchanan!