Friday, October 5, 2018

Balance

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! Last week, my wife celebrated a milestone birthday and I did something I rarely do...I took time off work for it. I often pride myself on not missing work and keeping excellent attendance.  However, that has often resulted in missing family events and functions.  I always tell my staff "Family First", but I sometimes don't practice what I preach. That's why I thought it was important to take some time off and try to find that elusive work-life balance.  Luckily for me, I don't look at my job as work, but rather a calling. I love what I do and I consider myself lucky to work with teachers, students, and families each day. I'm doubly lucky, because I have a supportive family at home too. So this week, I tried to model what I tell teachers to do and balanced my work and family time. It's something that we all need to work at!


UPCOMING EVENTS AT BUCHANAN

Wednesday, October 17: Students dismissed at 12:10 PM
                                        Parent Teacher Conferences 1:00-4:00 & 5:00-8:00 PM
Thursday, October 18: Students dismissed at 12:10 PM
                                     Parent Teacher Conferences 1:00-4:00 & 5:00-8:00 PM

Thursday, October 25: Picture Retakes in the morning
                                     PTA Meeting 7:00 PM
Friday, October 26: Monster Mash Dash 6:00-8:00 PM

MEET THE BUCHANAN STAFF
Kelsey Duff - First Grade Teacher

I am beyond happy to be returning back to Buchanan this school year! This is my 8th year teaching in Livonia and my second year teaching first grade. I have spent my entire educational career in Livonia, from starting kindergarten at Johnson Elementary School through earning my master's degree at Madonna University. I have had 5 great years teaching at Coolidge Elementary in the second grade and though I was sad to leave that community, it has been wonderful being able to work with some old friends. When I am not in school this time of year, you can find me playing in the yard, watching football on the weekends with Mr. Duff or checking out the latest hot spot in Detroit.

The goal that I have set for myself this year is to connect with as many Buchanan families as I can. It has been 6 years since I last worked at here and the faces and families I remember, have mostly moved onto their next schools. If you see me around, please be sure to say "Hello".


Three words I would use to describe Buchanan: Supportive, Motivated, Energetic

PTA POINTS
  • We are having a Bake Sale October 17 & 18 during conferences. If you would like to donate items for the bake sale please sign up on the link provided below. 

  • Don’t forget to send in your box tops by October 20th! The class that collects the most will earn a pizza party! Please label all baggies with the teachers name. Mrs. McGuigan’s class is in the lead. 
  • Monster Mash Dash.  Friday, October 26 6:00-8:00.
  • Please register your child for our Monster Mash Dash and start collecting donations. Visit thegetmovincrew.com to register. The class that has the most students registered by October 12 wins a cider and donuts party. 
Please check out the video below for our PTA Reflections Competition! 


Did you know that Parent Teacher Conferences are coming up soon? Each classroom teacher has a sign up genius for families to sign up for a slot. If you have not received the link, please contact your child's teacher as soon as possible. We look forward to seeing all our families during conferences and continue our partnership with our community. Great things are happening at Buchanan!