Friday, November 17, 2017

Goodfellows

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! One of my favorite things about school is the concept of service learning. Projects that students take ownership of and learn by service projects. It's a way teach our students that each one of us can make a difference in our school, community, and world no matter how young or old we are. It simply takes a willing heart and the courage to take action. Here at Buchanan, our first grade students came up with the ideas of Spirit Days like "Fancy Dress" and "Pajama Day" to remind students to bring in canned food items for Goodfellows. It's a fun way to do some good in our community and the students can see the boxes filling up with food all month long. Thank you to all the families that contributed and I look forward to many more service learning projects for our Buchanan students!


UPCOMING EVENTS AT BUCHANAN

Wednesday, November 22 - Friday, November 24: No School for Thanksgiving Break!

Friday, December 1: No School for Students / Records Day for Teachers

Friday, December 8: Report Cards go home

Week of December 11: Santa Shop

Thursday, December 14: Santa Shop with Santa Claus & 3rd/4th grade music concert 6:00-8:00 PM

MEET THE BUCHANAN STAFF
Mrs. Banter - 4th Grade Teacher


My name is Kristin Banter, I teach fourth grade here at Buchanan.  This is my second year teaching fourth grade, I am very happy to be back as a Buchanan Bear!  I live in Northville with my husband, Kyle and our miniature schnauzer, Loki.  In my free time I enjoy spending time with family, spending time at Elk Lake and watching the Red Wings.  

My goal for this year is to push myself, and my students, to try new things.  This year I tried flexible seating, I am so glad I did, we are absolutely loving it!  

5 words to describe Buchanan: welcoming, enthusiastic, innovative, flexible, and inclusive.  

 PTA POINTS
  • Don't forget to purchase Buchanan spirit wear! Go to buchananspiritwear.com to place your order. You can order throughout the year, but we are offering free shipping until November 20. All items are shipped directly to your home. Spirit wear is a great Christmas gift!

  • Santa Shop is coming! We will need many volunteers to bring classes to the shop, assist in shopping and gift wrapping. Please go to http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0e44a4ae2ca1f94-santa  if you are able to help. This is a big event and the kids love shopping for their loved ones! We will have a preview on Monday, December 11 for all classes. Set up is tentatively on Friday, December 8, but we do not have a definite delivery date from the company yet.  If the date has to be changed, we will update the sign up genius. There will also be an evening shopping event on Thursday, December 14 from 6:00-7:45 PM. Enjoy shopping, a concert performance by our 3rd and 4th graders and a visit from Santa & Mrs. Claus. Please bring your own camera for a great photo opportunity!
  • Holiday Assistance: It is hard to believe, but the holidays are just around the corner and many families are still facing financial stress at home.  For some, it is minor—others a more pressing burden.  The holidays are an especially difficult time during financial stress—please know I am more than happy to try to help.  If you need any assistance with resources please contact me.  I do not share with staff or anyone in our community information regarding the recipients of such assistance.  Please let me know if we can help you and your family in any way.  My e-mail is kblazek@livoniapublicschools.org or you can reach me at 734-744-2690 ext. 12120. 
    **Please note that if you need assistance with Christmas, I will need to know, no later than Friday, December 8th.
  • When doing your Amazon holiday shopping, don't forget to shop Buchanan's smile page. Amazon donates 0.5% of the purchase price to James Buchanan Elementary PTA. Bookmark the link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/38-2618912 and support us every time you shop.

Did you know that we start every week at Buchanan with a Celebrate Monday Assembly? For 20 minutes, we talk about our character trait for the month, watch a short video, and share out ways that we can make it a great day and a great week! The last Monday of the month is dedicated to recognizing our Students of the Month and celebrating the good behaviors of our students. It can be hard to get back into the routine of school (for both students and adults)! With our assemblies, we try to add a little excitement to the week and start off on a positive note. Great things are happening at Buchanan!