Friday, November 10, 2017

Routine

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! Recently, one of our Buchanan staff members approached me and said that things were starting to fall into a routine. With the blending of school communities, open house, conferences, and all the other things that happen in the start of a school year, the first months can seem pretty hectic. However, once people start to know one another, the building becomes more familiar, and things start to feel more natural, then we ease into a routine. Now, I don't consider a routine to be a bad or boring thing. I think of it as a state of feeling comfortable and at ease with one's surroundings. It was interesting when I heard someone say this, because I had been thinking it myself. Buchanan was becoming home and things were falling into a routine. I hope that feeling of comfort is being felt by all our Buchanan students, staff, and families. The longer we work and play together, the closer we will become and the more Buchanan will be home to all.


UPCOMING EVENTS AT BUCHANAN

Wednesday, November 15: "Fancy Dress" Spirit Wear Day when students bring a canned food item for Goodfellows Canned Food Drive
Friday, November 17: "Pajama Day" Spirit Wear Day when students bring a canned food item for for Goodfellows Canned Food Drive

Wednesday, November 22 - Friday, November 24: No School for Thanksgiving Break

Monday, November 27: PTA General Membership Meeting 7:00 PM
Friday, December 1: No School for Students (Records Day)

Friday, December 8: Report Cards go home

MEET THE BUCHANAN STAFF
Ms. Kurtjian - Third Grade Teacher

My name is Laura Kurtjian and I'm a third grade teacher here at Buchanan.  I've spent my entire life in Livonia by going to Livonia Public Schools, going to college in Livonia (Madonna University), student teaching in Livonia, and now, full-time teaching in Livonia.  I love this city and I feel honored to be working at such a wonderful school.I have two sisters who are also teachers, a mother who was a teacher, and a beautiful nephew named Oliver who isn't a teacher yet but it runs in the family so you never know!  When I'm not at school, I spend my time with my nephew, family, friends, and two dogs who I'm sure the students can tell you all about!

My goal this year is to make sure that students truly enjoy learning and view school as a fun place!

If I were describe Buchanan Elementary using 5 words, I would say welcoming, a community, engaging, creative, and fun!

PTA POINTS
  • Buchanan will be receiving $1,100 from our Box Tops submission. Congratulations to Ms. Banter's 4th grade class- they are the winners of a pizza party provided by the PTA!! They had a total of 1,158 for their class. We thank all of our Bears for all their efforts in collecting Box Tops! That is amazing!  Keep sending Box Tops in- labeled in a baggie with teacher and student name. We will be awarding another pizza party to the class that brings in the most in the spring. 
  • Don't forget to purchase Buchanan spirit wear! Go to buchananspiritwear.com to place your order. We are offering free shipping until November 20. All items are shipped directly to your home. Spirit wear is a great Christmas gift!
  • Next PTA meeting will be Monday, November 27 at 7:00 PM. Childcare will be provided. 
  • Cub Scout Pack 790 will be hosting a Toys for Tots donation drive at Buchanan from 11/20-12/15. New, unwrapped toys will be collected in the box located in the Buchanan Lobby.  These toys are then distributed as Christmas gifts to less fortunate children in  our community.

Did you know the first grade classrooms are heading up the schoolwide canned food drive for Goodfellows? To help with the collection process, the first grade students voted and came up with two "spirit days" to help increase the volume of donations. Students are being asked to bring canned food items to school on Wednesday and Friday and to make things fun by having a "Fancy Dress" day on Wednesday and a "pajama day" on Friday.  Buchanan students are making a difference!