Saturday, December 9, 2017

Continuous Learning

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! I am often talking with staff and students about the importance of being a continuous learner. This week, I tried to lead by example by attending the annual conference for the Michigan Elementary & Middle School Principals Association (MEMSPA). I spent three days attending session and meeting with principals from across the state to learn new ways to support teachers and students. I even got a chance to present a session myself. Three days is a long time to be away from the building, but I feel the skills and ideas I gained to help make me a better principal is worth the time. I very much appreciate the leadership of our staff for stepping up while I was out of the building. My goal at Buchanan is not create followers, but to create leaders with both staff and students! Whether you are reading a book, attending a training, or just learning something new, be sure to tell your child about the importance of continuous learning and how you continue to learn as an adult!

Getting ready to present on Relationship Building!

UPCOMING EVENTS AT BUCHANAN

Week of December 11: Santa Shop!
Thursday, December 14: 3rd&4th Grade Music Concert 6:00-8:00 PM

Wednesday, December 20: PTA Ham Pick Up 4:00-6:00 PM
Friday, December 22: All School Sing-along 3:15 PM / Winter Break begins after school!

MEET THE BUCHANAN STAFF
Ms. Adams - Second Grade Teacher

Hello Buchanan Families! My name is Michelle Adams and I am a second grade teacher.  This is my seventeenth year at Buchanan and my twentieth year as an educator.  I have mostly taught second grade and Kindergarten, but have also taught fourth and sixth grades.  I love this school and it has been a second home to me for a very long time.  I am always impressed with how much our families contribute to our community and integrate themselves into their children's learning.

When I'm not at school, some of my favorite things to do are reading, traveling, spending time with my family, swimming, and attending Broadway musicals.  I am lucky to have two nephews (Jonathan and Christian), two nieces (Julie and Alexi), and a cute cockatiel named Logan.  

This school year, I hope to encourage students to set goals for themselves and invest in their own learning by working towards those goals.  

5 words to describe Buchanan:  Caring, Energetic, Collaborative, Engaging, Dedicated.


PTA POINTS
  • Santa Shop is quickly approaching and we are still in need of many volunteers! Please click on the sign up genius  http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0e44a4ae2ca1f94-santa if you are able to help. If you are volunteering during your child's class, please let any of the PTA board members at the event know and we can make arrangements to help your child shop.
  • When doing your Amazon holiday shopping, don't forget to shop Buchanan's smile page. Amazon donates 0.5% of the purchase price to James Buchanan Elementary PTA. Bookmark the link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/38-2618912 and support us every time you shop.
  • Holiday Giving Tree! In order to make it easy and accessible for families to give, we have gone to a Sign Up Genius format. Please click on the link to help a family: Holiday Giving Tree Link  

Congratulations to Peyton Y. for winning the limo ride from the PTA for being a top fundraiser at our Glow Run! He and his friends were picked up at the school on Thursday and spent an evening in downtown Detroit! 


Did you know that the report cards look different this year? Livonia Public Schools has moved to a Standards Based Report Card in an effort to more accurately reflect a child's progress and learning. Attached to this email is a link to a letter telling more about the report card and how to utilize the information it gives. I appreciate all the work our teachers have been doing as they transition to this new format in the hopes that it provides a more effective means of recording the growth and development of our students. Great things are happening at Buchanan!