Friday, February 2, 2018

VIP

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! Things have been busy at Buchanan! We recently had Miss Williams recognized at the WNIC "Teacher of the Week", we had first grade student, Emily, serve as the Student Principal, our new episode of the Buchanan Podcast was released, and we held our VIP dance at Riley Upper Elementary School. One of the students asked me what VIP stood for and when I told him, "Very Important Person", he responded that those people must feel like somebody special. My goal is that every staff member and every student at Buchanan feels like a VIP, because they all are somebody special. We may not give out awards to every person, but we can make all people feel valued, respected, and special when they walk in the door. Together, we can make Buchanan a school full of VIPs!!

UPCOMING EVENTS AT BUCHANAN

Wednesday, February 14: Happy Valentine's Day!!
Friday, February 16: 100th Day of School Celebrations

Monday, February 19: No School for President's Day
Wednesday, February 21: PTSA Founder's Day Celebration at Schoolcraft College
Thursday, February 22: PTA Meeting at 7:00 PM

Wednesday, February 28: Students Dismissed at 12:10 PM (Teacher Training in the PM)

MEET THE BUCHANAN STAFF
Mrs. Edwards - Third Grade Teacher 

Hi Buchanan families! My name is Melissa Edwards and I am a 3rd grade teacher here at Buchanan Elementary.  This is my 12th year teaching here, time goes by fast when you are having fun! I have also taught at Roosevelt and Taylor elementary here in Livonia. This is my 19th year teaching overall and I have taught 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade. I love being a part of this school and community and look forward to coming to school everyday to teach and learn with my students!

I live in Canton with my husband and two daughters. Kendall is 7 and is a first grader here at Buchanan and my 4 year old Ivy will be coming here for Kindergarten next year! We are also excited to add another addition to our family soon. We have another little girl due in early April. We love to travel around Michigan and go camping in the summer, we  have found some great spots on our little adventures!

Some goals I have for this school year are that all students love coming to school and feel like they are in a safe environment. 

The 5 words I would use to describe Buchanan Elementary are: fun, welcoming, positive, encouraging and safe
In addition to smart phones, we are asking parents to keep other connected devices (like apple watches) at home and not on students unless the teacher has designated an "electronics day" celebration. Thank you! 


PTA POINTS


Did you know that we are implementing some new protocols for dismissal? In an effort to improve the monitoring of our students and increase the safety of our dismissal routines, we are asking that all parents clear the gym after picking up their children. We will be doing a sweep of the gym after the final bus departs (4:10 PM) for any remaining students that have not been picked up. Thank you for your cooperation and support. Great things are happening at Buchanan!