Friday, May 25, 2018

A Summer Shave

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! You may have noticed that I started sporting a shaved head last week. While it is convenient for the summer weather, I had a more important reason for the shave. For the past two years, I have been a part of the St. Baldrick's event to raise funds to fight childhood cancer. Each May, participants raise funds by asking friends and families to donate as we "Brave the Shave". I have become personally involved as the child of a friend is battling cancer. I had the honor of being shaved by this incredible child and our own PTA president, Nikki Watson also donated her time for the day as she helped shave my head along with others. While we were fortunate to raise over $130,000, the real joy came from seeing the smiles of the children we came to support!


UPCOMING EVENTS AT BUCHANAN

Monday, May 28: No School for Memorial Day
Wednesday, May 30: Kindergarten Round Up
Thursday, May 31: Stevenson High School Graduates Clap Out 11:15 AM

Thursday, June 7: PTA Meeting 7:00 PM
Friday, June 8: Field Day

Monday, June 11: 4th Grade Celebration in the PM
Tuesday, June 12: Kindergarten Concert & Celebration in the PM
Thursday, June 14: Students dismissed at 12:10 PM
Friday, June 15: 4th Grade Clap Out 11:30 AM, Students dismissed at 12:10 PM

MEET THE BUCHANAN STAFF
Loretta Zimes - School Social Worker

Hello Buchanan Community,

My name is Loretta Zimes. I have been a social worker for more years than I would like to admit. 😊 I graduated from U of M with a Masters in Social Work. Prior to LPS, I worked in the hospital setting in various capacities (e.g., medical social worker, psychiatric social worker, chemical dependency social worker, day hospital social worker, etc.). I was hired into LPS  20 years ago.
I am a mother of three -Kyle, Kevin and Michael- ‘yes’ all boys, all young adults.  My husband, Jim is the most supportive, encouraging person I know. We have been married 27 years. We also have a brown lab, Coco.  I am blessed to have such a great, supportive, close family.  I service four schools in Livonia. This is my first year at Buchanan and ‘yes’, I am the new kid on the block. I truly love working at Buchanan. The staff have been nothing but kind, helpful, and warm.  

With only a few weeks of school left, we need to remember to practice caution in the parking lot. Please remember to come to a FULL stop at both crosswalks and be sure to drive slowly and keep an eye out for crossing families. Together, we can make sure that Buchanan is a safe place for students and adults! 


PTA POINTS

We are looking for volunteers for next year's events and activities!  In order for the PTA to offer events, we need your help! If you are able to help or be part of a planning committee, please clink on the sign up genius below. 



Did you know we LOVE our volunteers at Buchanan? We were so happy to recognize our volunteers with a breakfast this week and tell them how much we appreciate them. Without our volunteers, there are so many things that would not happen at our school. From reading buddies, to classroom helpers, to event organizers, our volunteers make school a fun place to learn. Great things are happening at Buchanan!