Thursday, May 17, 2018

Kindness Boomerang

Hi folks, Jon Wennstrom here! This month, our Buchanan students are focusing on the theme of kindness. During our Celebrate Monday Assembly, we talked about how the real magic of kindness is how it spreads from person to person, community to community, and hopefully throughout the world. It also comes back to those who share it. Below is a video that we watched to show how kindness spreads and eventually returns. I hope you like it as much as the students did!


UPCOMING EVENTS AT BUCHANAN

Thursday, May 24: 3rd Grade Students to Lansing
Friday, May 25: Volunteer Breakfast in the Library 8:15 AM
                          Students & Staff dismissed at 12:10 PM

Monday, May 28: No School for Memorial Day
Wednesday, May 30: Kindergarten Round Up!
Thursday, May 31: Former Buchanan students graduating from Stevenson High School visiting Buchanan for a Clap Out 11:15 AM

Thursday, June 7: PTA Meeting 7:00 PM
Friday, June 8: Field Day!

MEET THE BUCHANAN STAFF
Mrs. Cory - Literacy Coach

Hi Buchanan Families! I am thrilled to join LPS this year as a literacy coach. My goal is to support teachers and students as we strive to increase academic achievement for all students.   Prior to coming to LPS, I worked for 25 years as a classroom teacher, Title I teacher, and literacy coach. I received my undergraduate degree from Eastern Michigan University and my Master of Arts in Reading from Oakland University.


I live in Livonia with my husband and two children.  Olivia is a junior and attends Stevenson and Alex is a freshman at Churchill.  When I’m not working in the schools, I love just hanging out with my family. Hiking and biking are two things we enjoy doing together as a family.  Of course, one of my favorite things to do is curl up with a great book!

Five words I would use to describe Buchanan are: Welcoming, positive, fun, caring, and dedicated!

PTA POINTS
  • We are selling spree vouchers!! Pre-sale vouchers are $16.00 and Buchanan PTA receives $1.50 for every voucher sold. Please make checks payable to Buchanan PTA. All orders are due by Friday, June 1. Vouchers will be sent home in backpacks. Flyers with information came home last week. Any questions, contact Meg O'Neil at meg1RN@yahoo.com

Did you know our 4th grade students visited Riley Upper Elementary this week? Our students had a chance to visit their future school, meet the staff, and have an orientation of the building. Livonia Public Schools really does a nice job of helping students transition from one level to another and its nice to know that our students will be taken care of and supported on their educational journey. Great things are happening at Buchanan!